FS: All the things (R2R Etc)

Lol most of the musicians are long dead.

Oi, that’s my record collection you are talking about there! :grinning:

I remember going to a bake off at Duvet’s place in the early days of the Wam. His daughter was about 14 at the time. She looked at the box of records I had brought and said “Oh records - do you only listen to dead people?”

5 Likes

my long stood unused eac x10 has sprung into life - sounds great on a bit of classical but the hiss is unbearable - any clues fells? might have to wait for neil diamond to arrive to test out if its the tape but it looks in excellent condition and play fine so suspect its my missing something obvious that a newbie to R2R is missing hence posting on here

plugged it direct into my CD input of the Thomas Mayer amp - does it need a head amp of some kind? volume isn’t too bad its the hissssss that is not right

really liking the sound it makes though so keen to persevere and invest in more tape now I have finally got it up and running

cheers
darren

Clean the tape path, demag the heads. Might need a service if it’s been stood a long time, stuff may well have drifted off spec.

What ips?

useful tip thanks rob - how ?

3 3/4 4t stereo

Should be alright, prerecorded tape? Could be the recording level was just too low.

yep prerecorded tape from
RCA

Cleaning is easy enough, cotton buds and IPA, demagging you need something like this:

Plug it in, offer it up to the heads, press the trigger, keep it pressed down as you remove it to at least arms length from the machine, release the trigger.

Ah, all the hiss :grin:

it was fully serviced when I bought it but that was over a year ago - stood unused since

I can eliminate the tape from my enquiries when my second tape arrives at some point

does sound a bit like when you turn up the vol

Haven’t posted tape yet. Been a bit busy with things. Plan to post stuff tomorrow.

No worries mark, not in a rush for the diamond, have others on the way but if they all sound like this then it will be a short fixation with tape

I never bothered to play the r2r I bought. Vinyl is about my phaff limit.

it might the same here - my aim was to use it for classical as vinyl often isn’t quiet enough (ironically) so hopefully the hiss is the tape or demag/headclean

I saw a 15 ips tape on ebay I really wanted the other day (Dick Gaughan) so I can see why folks end up with several machines

Or there are machines like Technics which a few of us have on here which can do 3 tape speeds as well as 2 & 4 track playback.

1 Like