Gabion Walls?

If you don’t then the soil behind it will, sooner or later, wash into it. Is the infill meant to stay open and soil-free or is it OK for the gaps to silt up ? Maybe it would be good for alpines once it’s properly full ?

VB

If you do that in one step will you need a guard rail along it to stop people falling off ?

VB

1 Like

Go the sleeper route. I transformed this mess

into this

21 Likes

I really think you are worrying about a non existent problem. The gaps between the rocks in the gabion will be pretty big it’s not like a solid wall. I think membrane would silt up very quickly. Gravel is often used to infill behind retaining walls.

I think we may be talking at cross-purposes. I was imagining a watertight, and soil-tight, membrane (like DPM, only strong enough not to puncture) between the soil and the rocks. The aim was to stop Rob’s garden washing downhill through the holes between the rocks. His pics show that the soil does have a strong tendency to wash downhill now. But really I am clueless about this. I’m sure it’s a solved problem and I just don’t know what the solution is, or if one is even needed (maybe the soil plugs the holes ?).

VB

1 Like

Fair point actually👍

I think it would be fine.

If the water gets to bad we have a boat :+1:

3 Likes

Perhaps just a big screen erected in front so you just can’t see it anymore?

3 Likes

If you built a brick/block retaining wall, you would normally leave weep holes at the bottom of the wall or you would rake out a vertical joint every 900mm (4 bricks) trough the thickness of the wall. So a slot 75mm X 10mm every 900mm. I have never know them to become blocked and is sufficient to drain any water from behind the wall.

1 Like

And get someone to paint a mural on it :+1:

1 Like

Impressive. Looks really good.

Thing is, if I remember how Rob’s garden goes - it’s a fairly steep slope, with a decent bit more hill above it, so I think it needs a more engineered solution to actually stabilise the slope permanently.

Whatever goes in needs to be pretty porous, you don’t want hundreds of tonnes of supersaturated soil looking for a way to obey basic laws of gravity, so it needs to drain well.

1 Like

Lovely job :+1::ok_hand:

That is very nice.

It’s clear Nick needs to pop up to Derbyshire and give you a hand. :+1:

2 Likes

And social distancing means Rob will have to stay inside on the sofa while Nick sorts it out.

9 Likes

Top bloke is Nick, volunteering to help a mate out like that :+1:

What day should we stand on the front step and clap him?

3 Likes

Forum ethos. :+1:

2 Likes

Dig down to flatten the lot

1 Like

The neighbours at the back will only look down their noses at you (voice of experience, ours are 2ft higher than we are).

VB

1 Like