Get yer pies (and pasties) out

An omeprazole for first course and two rennies for desert.

1 Like

I used to live on Alka Seltzer, but post-op(s) indigestion is a complete stranger.

Others might experience this pie slightly differently to me!

They do a regular pork-only version. Will take a picture of one some time.

Videos of pie eating. Do it.

3 Likes

Only if we can have verbose assessments of the imagined differences.

1 Like

Am not going to do internet search for.

2 Likes

Chicken and Ham Hough from local butchers. Delightful.

6 Likes

Naked plate , naked pie, sacrificed

St Augustine waits

Moar mince & onion pies.

Pastry is improving but might have overfilled them a bit resulting in some minor leakage.

13 Likes

I just had a minor leakage looking at them! :heart_eyes::yum:

3 Likes

Gentleman’s fill :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Handsome looking beasts. Will sir be managing all 4 in tonight’s sitting? Does one apply vinegar?

1 Like

No, two tonight and the others will go in the freezer.

No vinegar.

Some detail about the filling and pastry would be much appreciated.

Ok, I’ll post something tonight

1 Like

Ok, here goes

Filling

2 med onions, finely chopped
300g (10½oz) minced beef
1 1/2 tbsp flour
250ml (9fl oz) beef stock
1 tbsp tomato purée
A dash of Worcestershire sauce
Flaked sea salt
Ground black pepper

Fry the mince then add the onion and continue until the onion is soft, then sprinkle in the flour and stir to mix it in. Add the beef stock, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning. Simmer, stirring regularly, until the gravy has reduced and thickened. Leave to cool completely (it will thicken a bit more)

Pastry

250g plain flour
A pinch of salt
110g cold butter, diced
40g beef dripping, diced (you could substitute with lard)
1 egg, beaten
Couple of spoonfuls cold water

1 egg, beaten, for glazing

Put the flour in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Rub in the butter and dripping (or lard) until it resembles breadcrumbs (I use a food processor which does it in seconds) then add the beaten egg. Cut this in with a knife, then add just enough chilled water to make a dough – 2tbsp max. Lightly knead (don’t overwork it) until it comes together into a dough, then shape into a ball and wrap in clingfilm. Chill in the fridge for an hour.

This quantity easily fills four 4” pie tins like these (non-stick and about £8 on Amazon)

I make all of the bases first and keep the scraps then combine with what’s left and roll out again to make the four lids. Doing it this way makes the lids a sort of halfway house between shortcrust and flaky pastry.

Fill the bases (leave a little air gap or you will get leakage like I did) brush the edge with egg and fit the lids. Brush the lids with egg then 25 minutes in the oven at 180c (fan) Half way through cooking I brush them with egg again to get a better glaze. Remove from pie tins and put on a wire rack to cool.

They freeze well. Defrost fully and reheat for 20 mins at 140c

6 Likes

I Might have a go at this, I could use some new pie tins too so thanks for the link. My Aunt ran a pie & mash shop in the 50’s 60’s. Her secret ingredient was Knors onion soup, she’d add it into the meat /stock. Sounds weird - It was lovely

3 Likes

The change from lard to beef dripping in the pastry was a game changer for me. I won’t go back if I’m making pastry for savouries.

3 Likes

Serving suggestion :grin:

Begone all you mushy peas haters :wink:

9 Likes

That is getting on for what @MGOwner would know as a ‘Pie Floater’.

1 Like

Sounds like something I’d find in my septic tank :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like