Graham Phantom Tonearm?

Trying without the damping fluid is a worthwhile experiment

Will definitely try with out fluid first and see what it sounds like

At least that particular dealer could be bothered to pick up the phone and offer some first hand suggestions and advice based on experience.
That’s more than the manufacturer did !

4 Likes

Ok
Today I cleaned out the silicone and cleaned the pot and unipivot throughly so not a speck of the old silicone survived.
Then I ran the arm with no silicone in the pot. BOOM it got its mojo back. Bass came back and Treble is clear and focussed again. Sounds great with no silicone in it. I might try some again at some point I’ve got some that would do the job I think without spending £40 on the Graham silicone. But for now it sounds great again.
It seems it was the silicone all along.

17 Likes

Townshend use silicon also, I wonder if that is cheaper?

1 Like

So pleased the tip that Gavin from Guildford audio gave me also worked for you. :+1:

1 Like

If you know what viscosity you need (or are prepared to experiment) then it will be much cheaper if not bought from a hi-fi dealer, e.g. Core RC 100% Pure Silicone Oil For Diff/shocks All Grades In Stock 100-300,000 | eBay

PS /pedant chemist on

Silicon is a brittle, rigid material. When doped it is great for making transistors and diodes.
Silica is a high-melting glass (in fact “glass” is silica with added cations - sodium etc.). Good for high-temperature light bulb shells. Overall formula SiO2, as a 3-dimensional lattice.
Silicone is a polymer with alternating Si and O atoms along the backbone, and organic groups as side chains from the remaining 2 valencies of each Si atom. It can be an oil (often as a cyclic silicone) or, if cross-linked, a rubber.

Very different properties for each.

/ pedant chemist off

5 Likes