Help refoaming speakers

Got two 8.5 inch drivers that need new foams.
I don’t want to mess them up doing them myself. Has anyone done this or got advice on who to go to to get them repaired?
Or give advice about DIY repairs.
Thanks

my woofers went back to AN for refoaming after the cat attack event.

What are they from?

Pete and I did my old JBLs. I bought the right kit from a US supplier, and it was actually rather straightforward. Just make sure you remove all the residual glue and gunk, and take your time.

I was ready for the walk of shame to Wembley Loudspeakers, who do it, but it wasn’t necessary.

1 Like

Acetone is your friend.

Fixt for correctness.

2 Likes

Strong stuff. Try not to breathe too much in. And whatever you do, keep it away from any plastics that you care about (even the vapour can craze acrylics). And from flames.

Especially flames.

VB

1 Like

As solvents go it’s apparently not top draw. Stronzi views it as a ‘back up hoof’.

1 Like

Ether’s the stuff. But if you thought acetone was flammable …

Or cyclohexane - great for removing fingerprints off things you’ve touched. (You need something more exotic if you want to remove the fingerprints from your fingers.)

DMSO is good for transporting drugs through the skin. Or anything, to be honest. Poisons, for example.

VB

1 Like

barrell aged acetone is superior

1 Like

This is quite a good guide, take your time and don’t drink lots of coffee beforehand.

https://www.speakerrepairshop.nl/en/instructions/refoam-manual/c-7

1 Like

Wembley speakers seem to do a decent job of that sort of thing.

1 Like

I managed a very decent refoam effort with some B&O drivers. if I can then I think you can as well.
Putting the right amount of glue is key to a neat joint - I used tacky PVA glue with a fine nib.

images

2 Likes

Anyone ever removed woofer from H2s?
Any advice on how to go about it?
Thanks

Anyone got any ideas on helping to remove these drivers?

Are they stuck down with mastic or similar?

Give RFC a call I think they’ve done a lot of H2 restorations and seem to be the common recommendation for it.

http://www.referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/services/loudspeaker-services/

Not sure if they are stuck in but seem a tight fit after taking out bolts they don’t budge and I don’t want to damage cabinet or the drivers.

I just spoke with the guy that made them. He didn’t think there was any kind of mastic or sealant behind them probably some kind of compressible gasket that may have become sticky with time. My method (with similar old Vifa drivers that were masticked in) always used to be inserting a corkscrew into one of the mounting holes just far enough to get some purchase to pull at that point. At least you know there’s nothing else physically restraining it.

2 Likes

I’d second this if you get stuck; Paul Coupe is very knowledgeable and helpful :+1: