HiFi Critic ceases printing

Patrick Turner’s material, perhaps ?

He was a character, with firmly held views and a sometimes direct way of expressing them. But also a very smart guy.

I don’t think so but that’s interesting, thanks.

I’m interested in the fundamentals stuff:

We’ll see whether I do anything about it.

What does this word spaghetti even mean tho’?

Bah! Yoot o’today… mumble, chumble… All this was fields… mutter, snork… Jumpers for goalposts… chimble, wheep… Florin three farthings - all the way to Filey, too! … {{{farts loudly}}} - “I said quarter to three!&c.

1 Like

Aussie company? I always thought they were ChiFi.

Designed in Australia and built in China, I believe.

And also sold in China. I was thinking of buying an intergrated amp but bought a Cayin instead from China Hi Fi.

1 Like

This is nice.

The modern world. I have bought a few Hifi Critics and enjoyed them. I always enjoyed reading Colloms and Messeneger, and it was nice not to have advertisements bombarded at you. Have you seen how many pages of ads you need to get through to anything meaningful in Hifi News?

But the reality of it is I got a years digital subscription to TAS for $12 and I can ready it anywhere, anytime, which is great when you get cancelled calls and find yourself stuck in your car for two hours.

The only magazine I still get in paper format is Gramophone. I have no reason why I prefer that in paper rather then through the cloud. I just do.

1 Like

In reality we should go with whatever solution works for us, of course. I work (for want of a better word) from home so it’s no big deal to sit down with the physical mag and a cuppa. I’ve also been spending quite a lot of the last 6 months in doctors’ (and recently dentists’) waiting rooms and I can take the mag there without having to worry about signal strength or battery state or being interrupted by spam messages.

It’s good if the TAS sub is eternal, or if you can download them and have them there if you should ever fancy a second look. I think some digital subs lock you out if/when you stop paying though. I now reckon I’ve got every single HiFi Critic that ever there was, or will be. I can look back at will and even flog them on to someone else if there’s a potential buyer (a few years back I saw a guy flog his entire HFN collection at Audiojumble - pretty much issue by issue !).

I am sure that you will only want what you paid for them :grinning:

1 Like

I subscribe to Hifi+ and TAS and at their price I won’t be giving up the subscriptions just yet but you have a good point.

Both Zinio and Pocketmags (the apps) will download the mag to your phone/computer when you start reading it and it will stay there until you delete it. Both mags also allow you view them in a mobile friendly view making it easier to read. I always have my phone on me so it’s no problem. I also always have my latest novel downloaded through Kobo for similar reasons. I haven’t had any battery problems at the moment but my phone is fairly new.

My old phone, an Oppo Reno 5, I’ve stripped down to just having Tidal and Youtube Music and the magazine/book apps. I have downloaded a shedload of music and use this for a “DAP” and this means I don’t need to use my current phone. I use this when away in hotels or using the train. The battery is still very good on it after 3,5 years and it means my current phone will be used on the very rare times someone actually phones me.

1 Like