HMV tits up again. Bricks & mortar retailing is it fucked?

Sorry forgot the magic money tree.

I donā€™t see how you get to that, there would have been great bonuses for the board and divis for the shareholders. Thatā€™s what management is all about.

I walked through Windsor today, the sales were on offering upto 70% off. itā€™s a shit day for capitalism when you start giving shit away - any idiot can give things away. I found the lack of scumbagery highly disappointing. Windsor is a pretty affluent place bolstered by moronic tourists and still the shops canā€™t seem to rape a wallet. Shitty innings all round - fuck you internet.

CClearly we are currently living in Halcyon days. I for one will lament the loss of this Utopia.

Alternatively, shut the fuck up or take your shite to one of the political threads. This is the HMVthread and things are bad enough as it is.

8 Likes

That will be the one that didnā€™t exist for the nurses but was found for the DUP.

8 Likes

Revolver, Rival, Replay, Soundsville, Disc ā€˜nā€™ Tape to name but a few.

All gone now.

Plastic Wax is still going though.

The HMV in Liverpool moved from a quite large premises to a smaller, out of the way, location last year. They didnā€™t seem to reduce the amount of stock they held so the place was a nightmare to get around. I would describe it as a record shop for people who donā€™t like music. Other than a couple of very low priced reissues of classic LPs I canā€™t think of anything I have bought in HMV in years.

We are lucky to have Probe and Jacaranda amongst others to service the new music market and a number of excellent second hand shops.

Probe has a good rep. As @browellm and others have said Rough Trade and Fopp seem to have been able to expand yet remain in touch with their origins. Rough Trade through a more cautious approach than Ikea and Fopp by um, not sure really, but they seem successful and I enjoy spending my money in there.

Went in there last summer, same old gay guy running it.

Fopp were lucky to survive, they expanded a bit too quickly and had to pull in their horns and close a lot of outlets. I missed the one in Brighton, I bought a lot of stuff there. But had they continued trading in Brighton it would have been a lot harder for our local independant - Resident to get where they are now.

1 Like

Fopp are in bed with HMV, if HMV shut Iā€™ll be surprised if Fopp donā€™t go down with them as they wonā€™t be able to get stock.
(I bought a new vinyl in Fopp earlier this week, shows as HMV on my credit card statement.)

If that happens ill be disappointed as the branch in Oxford is good.

:rage:

2 Likes

I wondered how long that would take. :smile:

4 Likes

I havenā€™t been into an HMV to buy vinyls for ages.

Good job too as you would be disappointed :grinning:

Mike Ashley trying to buy HMV.:joy:
On the plus side at least itā€™s not Philip Green.:scream:

Will Rafa take charge of the Oxford st store?

2 Likes

Newcastle owner makes record signing.

:confounded:

13 Likes

we need to send you back to Tasmania for thatā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

Ooooh, nasty :scream_cat:

1 Like