HMV tits up again. Bricks & mortar retailing is it fucked?

Already closed

Doug Putman (Canada’s Sunrise Records owner) has bought HMV apparently with the aim of applying his business model of ‘great service and stock with a real record shop vibe’…At least this is the general press release blurb. Putman bought HMV Canada in 2017 so he may be able to roll out some fresh ideas to the shops he has selected to keep open. What is interesting is that the press release blurb is pretty much a rebuttal against the rather large concerns over HMV noted up thread.

Bollocks.

Yes.

We all know that any retail record store business model is not worth anything without a forum attached.

4 Likes

I am surprised that the one in Brighton is staying open as it has a lot of competition from much better shops.
Mind you I think a lot of these decisions would have been made for contractual reasons, how long the lease had left, what it cost to get out of it, rather than pure trading reasons

Kettering survives, great news

You should have a read or this

http://voxboxmusic.co.uk/2018/12/the-hmv-money-go-round/?fbclid=IwAR0Eujz1vGqO7cCk6KsetlU5K-SQiB8-_vYedEuO6NEN_5VqflSCNb5Rd68

2 Likes

They seem to have turned the entire M4 corridor into an HMV free zone now. The media sale graphs only point one way so managed decline will be the way forward for the rump, I suspect.

Good link Mickyricky. Funny how the UK story and the Canadian one feature identical players HMV>Hilco>Sunrise

Or a cassette shop in Shoreditch.

:smiley:

This is the capitalist economy. You buy an asset, load it with debt and extract loads of money via management fees, licence fees and whatever. If it does well then you make a fortune, if it does badly then the debt holders get shafted, you’ve done fine from the kickbacks. The larger debt holders own you so they get their cut, it’s only the smaller ones that lose out overall and who gives a fuck about them? Welcome to the world.

3 Likes

HMV Canada was eviscerated after the sale, with a small number of stores being re-branded as Sunrise.

Well, 70 out out 113 in Canada, 100 out of 128 in the UK. Does the name over to door matter? I’d have rebranded the whole lot in the UK Fopp yonks ago…

1 Like

Shutting all HMV shops and opening smaller Fopps in the more quirky areas of towns and Cities focusing on quality music would probably work. Independants seem to manage it.

As it stands keeping HMV going is little more than flogging a dead horse.

1 Like

Not if you have 10 - 20 year leases.

quite by chance passed an HMV today , i thought it closed years ago . what an aladdins cave , 5 dvds for 20 quid . not bad at all and some i would never have seen otherwise . one of them was shaft which is a great old film and the music is superb

1 Like

I took six bin bags full of DVDs to my local charity shop before Christmas and they refused them as they’ve too many and they don’t sell, even at 6 for £1. Went to landfill. Strange times.

Pur local HMV had just that, 5 DVDs.
No surprised they closed it.

interesting , i have been taking stuff to many charity shops recently , including dvds . i guess they just were overwhelmed . acorns and oxfam send different items to different shops . one oxfam near here is almost totally books , some costing hundreds [ which amazed me as i would have put them in the bin !!]