HMV tits up again. Bricks & mortar retailing is it fucked?

That particular reality obvs passed over HMV merchandising radar all these years.
All about screwing over retailers for a financial fees kickback.
Large job loses being the price worth paying.

1 Like

You could’ve used them for decoration…

DVD recycling…its a thing

Was a bit surprised by the DVD rejection. But even the Oxfams around here are closing down so it will also be harder to shift non-fiction books in future, as well.

My local Octavia Housing Trust took about 400 dvd’s last April of me. As I registered for gift aid I recieved a letter in the autumn stating they had sold about £450 worth. Which was nice. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

not too far from here there is a shopping centre with 15 charity shops , rather overbalanced really

Mmmm…

I’ve seen about 4 or 5 close around here. Thefe are too many imo. But, its not as though other tenants are queing up.

I haven’t been for ages but Ameoba Records on the West Coast of the USA have a thing that surely could be copied here. Second hand records are mixed with new in super market sized stores which have a checkout queue all day on a Saturday and most evenings. These places encourage you to browse. I’m not saying that it could be done everywhere but it is certainly more interesting than the dull formula that HMV have had for a while.

1 Like

I think the LA store has moved and downsized but the Haight store in SF, which was my favourite, rolls on. Bought so much there back when had to pay excess baggage once!

2 Likes

I was in a west cost Ameoba shop a 2 or 3 yrs ago. The chap (employee) I was talking to said they remain viable because of tourism. (Which is why in was in there).
Not easy to get that much vinyl in 1 place from a standing start.

1 Like

Yes, I did think of that, nice to dream though!

1 Like

Someone’s optimistic:

vinyls :rage:

3 Likes

I actually bought two cds in there recently for my wife’s bday. A very good Country selection in fairness.

25k records isn’t that much for a shop

That’s @htm_1968’s third cupboard on the right, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Humph…I wish. I don’t think I own more than about 3000 LPs. I do own a ridiculous number of CDs, but they are all in boxes in the loft.

Have you ripped all the cds?

Yes. Originally I had the kids feed them into a Vortexbox. They did the first 4000 over a three month spell in 2009/10. I’ve got a 4TB Innuos Zen and a 2TB NAS (Cassette rips) now. The cassette rips are soul destroying to do as they need to be played onto the HDD in real time, track split, normalised and then tagged, all done by hand as automation is not an option.

The arrival of the proper digital recorder in about 2005 was a Godsend as it mean that recording using DAT, cassette or minidisc was a thing of the past. Recording direct to 24 bit WAV was a huge step forward as you can split and tag 2 hours of live music in minutes once it is copied to the HDD.

2 Likes

Can you , hand on heart, say it sounds just as good or better as a decent CD transport? Or is there a slight trade off?