Holiday Snaps

Rather than clogging up the Holiday or Photography threads, lets have your photos of favourite, beautiful, or inspirational holiday spots.
Maybe somebody will be inspired enough to consider a break there.
Or maybe it will make them (you) feel better (smug).

First up Mae Sai, Thailand…

The hut on the far left was our digs for a couple of nights. Across the river is Burma. Such a wonderful, friendly, beautiful place. We’ve been planning to return for many years but haven’t. One day…maybe.

The hut…

7 Likes

Symi, Greece. A quintessential Greek island paradise…

Would retire here.

7 Likes

I have a feeling I went there on a boat trip from Rhodes in the mid 80s some time

1 Like

One of the very few ways of getting there.

1 Like

Fucking love Greece, even the less well-preserved bits, would be tempted to do the same, prolly Crete… (10 'kin years ago!)

12 Likes

The east coast of Crete near Plaka is similarly under touristed. Possibly because of the history of Spinalonga.

6 Likes

Crete in 2019, we went in October right at the end of the season. Great deals on hotels, really quiet, no kids around and just a lovely relaxed atmosphere.

Balos Beach - Stunning area, get there nice and early to miss the tourist boats as its a long drive from anywhere, and leave at midday!

Balos Beach - Crete by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Chania - Just lovely to walk around, nice bars and resturants.

Chania - Crete by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Chania - Crete by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Preveli Beach - Amazing Lagoon with a tropical vibe

Preveli Beach - Crete by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Just lovely sunsets!

Maleme / Platanias - Crete by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

7 Likes

All these people holidaying in hot places :sweat:

Give me a city mini-break in northern Europe every time.

To be fair, Crete in October is lovely, it was around 20-23 degrees I think, comfortable t-shirt weather and not too hot!

Case in point (crap photos, sorry) the Chilehaus in Hamburg

4.8 million bricks.

6 Likes

I’ve been there once for a wedding. Got eaten alive by mosquitos :laughing:

Glen Strathfarrar is the place for me. Been there many times over the years, sounds silly but I really feel comfortable and at peace there.

Sorry about the lousy pictures.

7 Likes

Cyprus, again in October is a lovely time of year. Quiet, comfortable temperature and just lovely again. As with Crete, great food including a local resturant that opened just for us to do a massive Kleftiko :heart_eyes:

Larnaca Castle, Cyprus by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Dinner by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Cyprus 2014 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Cyprus 2014 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

6 Likes

Symi Island is wonderful, I remember buying a natural sponge from there!
I would go back in a heartbeat.

1 Like

Hungary and Romania by land rover

A typical bit of local architecture, they had a lot of cement works in Romania

The so called wife of the local town secret police bigwig, I’m expecting a nice honey trap :ok_hand:

6 Likes

Vlad the Impaler country,

Soviet era sculpture at hydro power station

That road that top gear drove before it was tarted up, leads down the valley to Vlad’s actual castle rather than the tourist tat Dracula shite some 80 miles away

Random Jesus, can’t be too careful in these parts.

The road is the 7c transfagaras highway and it goes over this

8 Likes

Skye October 2003.

We hired some absolute shitbox of a car and drove from Edinburgh. Stayed here

https://www.hotelintheskye.co.uk/

(it looks like it’s gone a bit boutique but then it was very trad, it was just called Flodigarry, and there were literally parlour games before dinner because there was fcuk all else to do. We had the traditional power cut mid-meal)

Anyhow, again, Skye, October, ridiculous luck with the weather. On paper it should have been absolutely pish

Only on the islands do you get scenery and light like this (which is why we’re keen on @pmac’s legendary bake off :laughing: )

On the way back stopped off at Spean Bridge, given that my dad trained at Achnacarry.

9 Likes

Really want to get to Scotland this year,never been further north than Kendal nearly 50 years ago.

Holiday to celebrate your retirement was it? Lovely.

6 Likes