Hot & angry buns - 2019

M&S, quite stodgy, I may have been a little excitable on the butter front

2 Likes

Like the early blooming of spring flowers and the early arrival of some bird species to the UK, has the warm weather sparked you to start this HCB thread in FUCKING FEBRUARY?

3 Likes

Tradition
810decfe8f8a5a963bc7c845af8bbd2e

2 Likes

Getting your HCB’s in before pancake day :+1: Bollocks to Lent.

3 Likes

I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve been downing the odd HCB in February. Admittedly, I didn’t buy them and Antipodeans know no shame about out-of-season HCB purchasing. Once they are in the house they are fair game in my view.

Best so far were some from Tesco. The big M&S buns were too doughy, but the smaller ones were decent. I found this last year as well.

I am destined to be a very fat bastard if this HCB consumption keeps up.

2 Likes

I’ve had the posh Lidl ones and would give them 9/10.

2 Likes

Are antipodean HCB’s as bad as their mince pies? I have to know.

Premature Bunjaculation

3 Likes

Thankfully the only input Antipodeans had in this HCB saga so was to purchase the things. I had blanked the Christmas Tart fiasco out of my memory. A rousing ‘Feck you’ to you for reminding me of their exceeding excrescence.

2 Likes

Aldi giant teacakes are a sort of mad scientist’s teacake/hcb hybrid. Wonderful things. And massive.

5 Likes

I shall deploy the Oz Bun Enabler to get some of these pronto.

5 Likes

I’ll try those. A toasted teacake with melted cheddar on top is good.

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

hell in a handcart

2 Likes

I love bread-and-butter pudding. But imagine, say, that you don’t have any bread. Cue Marie Antoinette moment of inspiration … tadaaaaaah !

Mrs VB made it yesterday (someone else’s recipe). She thought it didn’t work - the buns tended to burn on top and be soggy inside and where the custard didn’t have any bread in it was, well, ‘just custard’. I thought it was all right though. It certainly didn’t need cheese. Or shrimps. Or brown sauce. Or gherkins …

VB

2 Likes

That bun (top right) is grossly underdone. @Wayward will be along shortly to show you the way.

4 Likes

Bread and butter puddings made with panetone or brioche are delicious

3 Likes

Food. Of. The. Gods.

2 Likes