How actually do you feel?

It is nice to know I’m getting something right :+1:

No, she really isn’t, but she has terrible luck with men…

Makes me think - this thread - there’s some extremely talented and hugely competent people here [some… ], many profoundly demotivated and dissatisfied, skillsets frequently hopelessly underutilised or misplaced, and all of that down to crashingly incompetent management at some level. Who are these people with such delusions of adequacy that they can bullshit their way to positions of influence far beyond the scope of any personal qualities they possess…?

And more importantly: how do we go-about rounding them all up into death camps?

3 Likes

I understand that Mike, really I do. Don’t worry, I haven’t really got a clue how I’m going to change things but I am wanting those things to go my way when they do.

But your commute is wasted, how much work can you do on the way in beyond beyond planning layouts for collars?

If you’re good at what at you do (and I think you are) why don’t you say fuck it and take the plunge to work from home. You have customers and there’s nothing wrong with taking them with you as they don’t belong to your employer, the moment you go solo you are (fairly) competing.

What you may have to get used to or understand is the sales and marketing side in telling/advertising how good you are.

1 Like

Wisdom.

Except that bit.

Certainly never been any of that in my life, not an iota.

1 Like

My experience is that hard work and planning create opportunity. With opportunity comes decisions and that is one point where random chance kicks in. Making good choices is sometimes down to luck.

OTOH, plans are all very well and good until life comes along and kicks them all into touch. Kids being one great example of this and health being another. I’ll never make the mistake of letting ambition and plans take precedent over my health again.

5 Likes

@coco and I spent literally hours discussing this on WhatsApp the other night, without coming to any firm conclusions. I’ve never worked in a corporate environment before this current job but my experience there is that the way of British companies is that the people that actually manage are generally the most ambitious, and what they are best at is climbing over everyone else. They also generally have a Teflon coating, the players. Where I work, I feel I have absolutely no allies. None.

4 Likes

Life is too short for that. I experienced that at Cambridge. It is horrific, particularly if you are into collaborative work.

6 Likes

Agreed. I’ve only known corporate employment, and it fosters and rewards the very worst, lowest and vilest of human character traits.

As for you, dearheart, it’s not “if” you leave, it’s merely “how”. Very best of luck.

3 Likes

I’m the absolute worst as ‘contractor scum’ but people listen to me as I have absolutely no political or management ambitions.

I think if people don’t see you as a threat they are willing to listen (and more importantly talk), personally I don’t give a fuck if people plagiarise my ideas as it’s my job to get things done.

4 Likes

I don’t have enough custom to start a business right now, not without some rainy day money. The responsibility of kids means you can’t just chuck everything up in the air. We’ve just had a discussion over the dinner table about just this; when I was younger I would just move on. I did get offered a brilliant opportunity with an up and coming brand to work across their women’s and menswear around last Christmas. I had to turn it down because of my contract but it is on the back burner. That and possible freelance for the company I work for, some custom tailoring…

I’m glad I renegotiated my contract last year because things are very uncertain. I do think though that things are going to change and that I may be able bend things my way. I could also be very fucking wrong!

Can you offload the kids to a workhouse or family?

3 Likes

One of the more rewarding parts of contracting is passing on knowledge and skills to permanent staff who are keen to learn. I get a buzz from that.

3 Likes

actually, little fingers, get the fuckers sewing.

3 Likes

You are a grade A cunt. But you may be on to something! :grin: Funny thing is, my daughter is off to boarding school soon so I’ll have just the one to deal with. :+1:

4 Likes

I guess in my own situation I am trying hard not to be passive…

I get that. It is very difficult to take a leap sometimes though. I’m all for tactical prevarication, never ‘go to the Alamo’ until you have no other option. Hence me taking things year-by-year and not pulling the plug.

1 Like

This is meant to be what happens much later in your career, when you’re earning six figures doing what you’re doing and hate it, but anything else would involve retraining and a 50% salary cut. At your age you should be able to get away with a much smaller hit, and you probably need to do it.

2 Likes

Thank you that’s perfect!

1 Like

How much of this retirement stuff is down to parents, I’m sure much of the older farts watched their parents work until they croaked.

My dad has just retired at 71 and that was only because my mum had cancer, I’m pretty sure he would’ve carried on till he dropped…

4 Likes

I am not in any way religious but one maxim always made me think.

“If you want to give God a good laugh. tell him your plans”

2 Likes