I Feel Love

I played the LP via TIDAL (and a 10 minute remix) today. It has plenty of heft!

Hmm.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

1 Like

Both are very good,but not a patch on mundongo’s

7 Likes

It is the song that got me interested in music. Was only 8 when I heard it for first time.

I love the Blue Man and Venus Hum version as it is so far removed from this version but still gives me the same feeling as first time I heard it.

Both vocals are out of this world.

Hmm indeed. Surely the whole point of Donna Summer’s version was that it was just her ethereal vocals and the purely* electronic machine sound that Giorgio Moroder had fastidiously assembled behind her ? It was never meant to sound like her and three singers and a drummer and a guitarist and a bass player and a keyboard player and a guy with two slapsticks and bongoes and a string section off to one side (pleeeeease, make it stop !).

The beauty of the Blue Men and Annette Strean’s version is, like all good covers, that they’ve changed it. The band is now enormous, and breathtakingly rock-and-roll loud. And there’s the flexibility in their timing that actual people bring. And still the song is a joy. But night-and-day different from the original.

VB

*The story goes that Moroder couldn’t get the Moog to deliver the kick drum sound he wanted. So he hunted down the most machine-like sessions drummer he could find and got him to record that single instrument Song from the Future: The Story of Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder’s | Pitchfork. The rest of it is pure synth pop though.

2 Likes

I liked this before I listened to it ! :frowning:

1 Like

There’s an interesting segment towards the end of the Blondie documentary I watched yesterday about how they (ostensibly a punk band) were coerced into producing a disco number in the form of Heart of Glass.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04fmgkb/blondies-new-york-and-the-making-of-parallel-lines

Well worth watching if only for that. (From 38:18 onwards)

1 Like

Buckethead dancing man has raised the stakes for the next Lopwell get together.

3 Likes

Ee gads!

Two goes at the lightswitch. Genius :grin:.

VB

I’m normally pretty fearless when it comes to posting links. But I do draw the line occasionally. There is, out there on Youtube, a terrible live recording of a worse ‘trombone choir’ attempting this song at something called the Honk 2009 festival. Surely it has to be against some law. Maybe the Geneva Convention ?

VB

Of course. We had megawatt amps.

Those were the days, etc.

Paul

I’ve seen that a few times. I don’t think they were really coerced, more that Nigel Harrison was pissed off with the slow production process. Clem Burke especially was a big Disco fan.

1 Like