Car Wants (maybe once, but now just anything Jim can find on the internet. 🙄)

Nice Lambo’. I’d prefer a Porsche:

:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Have you ever considered a career in politics?! :joy:

1 Like

Funnily enough, when I was a cub, Tractors were my first fascination. Trains took over, followed by buses.

I still like tractors though. Seriously , I’d like one and my friend did jokingly suggest he’d leave his one to me. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Cant be a porsche, Engine looks to be in the correct place.

2 Likes

Fixt .

2 Likes

I used to skip on and skip off one of these on the school trip. Think the company must have bought them up cheap from London buses and ran them is Glasgow like a budget airline…

1 Like

I’ve driven an RM like this. Luxury of Power Steering; two pedal Automatic Transmission and a Parking Brake to the left of the cab instead of one that might castrate an unsuspecting newbie upon entering the driving cab.

Very sensitive brakes and a lovely ride quality; Independent front Suspension and Coil Springs all round.

:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Edit; I’ve driven two other vehicles in that photo; the Bova Coach (white to the left of the RM) and the Daimler Fleeline (Red and yellow)

We loved them, they had a proper conductor to take your ticket money so you could jump of the back if you got asked to pay. There was also an ongoing competition to see who could jump off at the the highest speed.

This was our typical school bus after the magic bus got price gouged out of business.
They used to be full Strathclyde orange, The sponsorship down the sides was an oddity.

1 Like

:joy: Brilliant memories; thanks for sharing! I got a right bollocking for running and jumping on the platform of one driving away from a stop. Showed my staff pass. Conductor wasn’t impressed …:sweat_smile:

1 Like

One of the last Leyland Buses built. Great picture! Underframe built in Workington, Alexander body built in Falkirk. Bristol, Leyland or Volvo; all Olympians are brilliant to drive. Excellent ride and handling (for a bus, obviously):sweat_smile:

Chapeau, to the bus geek :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
All built in the UK… Once upon a time we could build our own stuff.

1 Like

Agreed. The world needs more bona fide geeks (and eccentrics); they are the most interesting people.

3 Likes

All is not lost; Falkirk still produces vehicles. Alexander Dennis is owned by NFI Group however.

Switch Mobility still builds buses in the UK as does Wrightbus.

Some Leyland remnants too; Albion Axles still make bits and pieces for vehicles im their Scotstoun Plant as far as I’m aware, although they’re American owned. :nerd_face:

As an aside, I remember being told about Metalwork classes by the older kids when I was at school. Sadly, this was no longer a thing by the time i got to secondary school.

I can’t help but wonder if stopping Metalwork and other practical things was the beginning of dumbing down society in preparation for a service industry based economy.

:thinking:

1 Like

110%!!! The UK student population has been so homogenised there is little room for anything that goes too off course. You need people shooting at the moon , failing often but just one good idea is all it takes.

1 Like

Here’s another dream. ‘Babs’ is/ was displayed at Brooklands last time I was there… :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s worked out well hasn’t it. Millions of waiters/ waitresses on shit wages and no one left who can build, invent, or innovate. I blame Thatcher for instigating the collapse of Britain , but I fucking hate the right wing tory cunts so there may be a little bias.

4 Likes

Long term managed decline I’m afraid. Instead of investing in new technologies and backing innovation we were misled into shedding our industries too soon.

Any good ideas and inventions we had here were throttled at birth by a banking system still based on the 2 year payback of sending a ship to the East Indies and back.

Meanwhile, in Japan Fuji famously secured a 100 year loan to develop a camera with no moving parts. Hmmm, wonder whatever happened to that :thinking:

6 Likes

Is that the first Cayenne prototype, it looks better than the production versions.

1 Like

Glad they’ve sorted that… :roll_eyes: