Car Wants (maybe once, but now just anything Jim can find on the internet. šŸ™„)

55k miles, thatā€™s less than 1k per year :rofl:

1 Like

Cooker facing out is a good idea ime, no-one wants the smell of food inside where you sleep. 90% of camper conversions Iā€™ve seen of any variety, if they have an internal kitchen area its usually spotless because its never been used.

People who trust what the odometers of old LRs say deserve exactly they buyā€¦

1 Like

The only landrover ones that do that are either on ex utilties vehicles with the roller door stowages or the old primus cookers mounted on the inside of the rear door.

Most landrover owners wonā€™t give a shit about food smells, hidden by oil and deisel/petrol smells :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh yes. Iā€™m just well down the rabbit hole. I know 0 about Land Rovers. If I could choose a spec, I wouldnt bother with a stove etc. 4 or 5 seats, Maybe a table where you can eat that folds down into a double bed, or have the bed in the pop up roof. Swing out awning on the side. When we used the caravan/tent all the cooking was done on a cadac and we always stayed on sites with nice wash/toilet facilities. Soft core camping ftw.

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

I owned a 110 hard-top - I loved the stupid thing, and being a 5MB diesel it was stupidly reliable, eternally-drippy bits notwithstanding.
I did a very primitive fit-out in the back which comprised a wooden support for a mattress, a bit of storage, and some extra ventilators to try to improve the whole waking-up to indoor showers of condensation thing.
As a space to live in it was hilariously inadequate - Iā€™m only 5ā€™10" and still couldnā€™t stretch out, and when I sat-up Iā€™d bang my head on the roof.
Obviously roof extensions and awnings help, but itā€™s gonna need some clever ideas to make it all workable.
Still cool AF mind :ok_hand:

1 Like

Not exactly - for the win, your vehicle needs to be parked outside a luxury mobile with air-con in the Sth of France or Italy. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Drive a land rover to Italy? nope.

1 Like

No, exactly. I meant going by plane and driving to the campsite in a hire car :grinning:

I prefer Belgium tbh :man_shrugging:

ā€¦better beer and chocolate, less sun. Each to his own. :+1:

Drove an Austin Champ to Istanbul and back. With 3 other drivers, admittedly, and we were a lot younger then.
Similar vehicle:

2 Likes

I glad I didnā€™t have to pay for the petrol :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Some of them had a Rolls Royce multifuel engine, could run on paraffin as well as petrol.

Eastern block 87 octane was fairly cheap back then. We worked on a hop farm to pay for the trip.

2 Likes

Cnc all the interior!

1 Like

:rofl:

Oh dear. Alas I couldnā€™t find any spare cash down the sofa.

1 Like

My father worked in the stores at a TA many years ago and used to drive one, 4 litre RR engine iirc, he reckoned it returned around 8 mpg.

Think it was a 2.8L RR. The ā€œinterestingā€ thing was reverse gear - or not. A transfer box simply reversed rotation, giving equal forward and reverse gearings and speeds. We got to 40mph in reverse on a beach in Yugoslavia before bottling out.

5 Likes

Early examples of the K11 Nissan Micra fitted with CVT transmissions had no inhibter for reverse which meant they could technically do 91mph in either direction.

3 Likes