Car Wants (maybe once, but now just anything Jim can find on the internet. 🙄)

Back in the 70s I used to ferry a manual V12 Xjs from Stratford on Avon to Ruislip, nothing I drove before or since felt so wrong.

ANY trip to Ruislip is full of Rong.

Not for @Kevin though - it would just be two more keys to lose :laughing:

1 Like

Normally, I would agree, buit if you’ve ever tried an XE R-Sport 2.0D with the 8 speed automatic, you’d know that the manual is the ONLY one to have!

Jags should also not have 2L Diesel engines. :sob::sob::sob:

5 Likes

'appen

Alright, grandad. You also shouldn’t be able to buy an AMG-badged Mercedes or an M-badged BMW with a 2 litre tractor engine but you can.

In her defence, they hadn’t released the SV Project 8 when she was buying, which she’d much rather have. Then again, it might be slightly above her company car allowance anyway…

So are you saying she has a manual 2 litre diseasel Jag?

That she chose? :exploding_head:

Yes. Her shortlist and conclusions went a bit like this:

• 3 Series: just had one. Don’t want another straightaway.
  • C-Class: had one before 3 series. Thought latest one was ugly.
  • Audi A4: she hates Audis
  • Ford Mondeo: fat lard arse
  • Vauxhall Insignia: world’s most uncomfortable seats
  • Lexus IS: No. Just no

That left the Jag, which we both liked the look of. She borrowed one for a weekend and we both really liked it. The only exceptions were the hilariously bad autobox, the coffin-like gloom of the interior and the epically shit stereo.

These problems were attended to by specifying a manual gearbox (she doesn’t like autos anyway to be fair), de-selecting the privacy glass and opting for grey roof lining. She also went for the first level upgrade Meridian stereo but that was a waste of money as it’s still shit.

I used to work at West Ruislip

Another great story from my new biography due out in August

5 Likes

It’s made by Meridian, what were you expecting?

3 Likes

The Lido was nice.

1 Like

The same level of high quality I’m used to from their hi-fi systems. Hell, I’d have settled for something that vaguely resembles bass as a starting point.

I don’t disagree with the reasoning. But a manual diseasel jag :weary:

Manual diesel anything = nearly always shit.

Fitting 7 and 8 speed autos to diesel engines with lots to torque clearly highlights all thats wrong with the current way cars are taxed. 5 long gears in a smooth auto is all thats required.

2 Likes

I don’t know. The old Setra S215HD with the six speed box seemed quite nice. But then it did have a 15 litre V8 turbodiseasel, I suppose.

Hyundai i40 1.7CRD estate. Manual. Very nice to drive. With one of those inline gizmo boxes to remap does high 60 + mpg ave. over lots of miles.
I wouldn’t want my lardy brick with a manual box. Select D and let its 8 speed autobox do its thing as designed.

Claire came home from work today and asked if I liked this:

I have no idea where that came from, she isn’t normally bothered about cars at all.

I didn’t know that I wanted a resto mod 1959 Chevy pick up, but I bloody well do now…:heart_eyes:

7 Likes

That wouls look lovely driving round the area where you live *

*as long as you live in Alabama, Ketucky or Louisianna.