If a cat has 9 lives,

Hells Bells! Thanks for the pointers off to B&Q now.

have you got a local Pets at Home?

Z&M started with one of these climbing frame things with builtin bed:

2016-10-11_05-06-17 by uh_simon, on Flickr

it wasnā€™t really tall enough for them, so I raised it up off the ground by putting 4 legs on it.

then to keep them entertained some more and they kept fighting over the bed, so I built a floor to ceiling climbing pole, from a plastic drain pipe and some sisal rope with a bed/shelf at ceiling height - you can see the top here:

39899898043_f9a78c5979_z

and you can see the bottom here:

20181029_110950[63075] by uh_simon, on Flickr

the rope runs the full length of the drain pipe from floor to just about door frame height.

Get her a basket, and put it in a quiet room near a radiator. if you are lucky youā€™ll get some peace

20170110_191207 by uh_simon, on Flickr

at least you donā€™t have twoā€¦ā€¦

20170104_195540 by uh_simon, on Flickr

5 Likes

I can see your experience of high class hotels has enabled you to provide the cat equivalent. Ziggy and Marley must be in heaven, no wonder they always look so pleased with themselves :grinning:
Edit: we do have a Pets at Home, I shall investigate, cheers.

1 Like

it was more a case of protecting our stuff and curtains. It became apparent very quickly, after one night at home, that if we didnā€™t give them beds and toys, then havoc would ensure.

1 Like

pesky thieving cats

Marley steals pens and pencils - we found a stash of about 7 pens/pencils under our bed that went missing from various places around the house over a period of a few weeks. It was only after weā€™d had several discussions that went:

S: Where is that blue pen
L: I donā€™t know I havenā€™t seen it
S: Have you tidied it away
L: No, you must have lost itā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

After about 5 repeats of the above, we realised something was amiss and went searchingā€¦ā€¦.

Keeping them locked inside the house is the problem. Cats need to establish and maintain their territory, which can be surprisingly big.

I appreciate youā€™re worried about them being catnapped if they go outside, but keeping them locked up in a modest house is just cruel.

2 Likes

not according to my vet

I think you need to preceed that statement, with ā€œsomeā€.
We have rescued, and kept many cats over the years, and most were very happy to venture outside occasionaly, and only a few were roamers.
The important thing is to keep them exercised and entertained.

1 Like

Iā€™m not a cat expert, but weā€™ve had loads of them and they all liked to go outside, not really sure how far they roamed, but if vids on the 'net of cats with cameras are anything to go by, then they often range over a surprisingly long distance.

I know Simonā€™s cats are loved and want for nothing, but I canā€™t help feeling that if they were allowed outside to let off steam, there would potentially be less damage inside.

Edit. Perhaps I was hasty saying it is cruel - I suppose if the cats havenā€™t known anything different, then they might not know what theyā€™re missing. But havenā€™t I seen pictures of them longingly looking out of the windows?

We knew from day one that Squeaky was going to roam. Heā€™s part Siamese and when denied access to the big wide world, would become quite destructive. He was also a complete pain in the arse.
Cat flap fitted and he is an absolute joy. Living in a rural village helps as he has access to fields and a farm. He hates cars and machinery of any type, so keeps well clear of the dangerous stuff.
Heā€™s very adventurous and is known by people in extremes of the village. He doesnā€™t roam as much now as he is getting older but keeping him inside just seems like a punishment.

1 Like

What did your catsā€™ vet say?

3 Likes

Expecting to be given some cheese. He loves cheeseā€¦

5 Likes

7 Likes

2 Likes

lounging sofa takeover - dunno where Louise is going to sit!
20190308_100017 by uh_simon, on Flickr

sleeping Ziggy
20190308_101450 by uh_simon, on Flickr

2019-03-10_01-54-02 by uh_simon, on Flickr

2019-03-11_07-34-32 by uh_simon, on Flickr

2 Likes

Youngest cat has started to take up residence in my room. Here he is lulled to sleep by a bit of LCD Soundsystem.

8 Likes

7 Likes

1 Like

Dinner spotted, a big house spider sadly eaten before I could rescue it :pensive:

8 Likes