Investment advice: Kodak phoenix from the ashes

Kodak invests in blockchain for photo IP rights: seems like a good use for this technology, they may be onto something.

https://kodak.com/US/en/corp/Press_center/KODAK_and_WENN_Digital_Partner_to_Launch_Major_Blockchain_Initiative_and_Cryptocurrency/default.htm

Worth a small punt I reckon.

@anon14766838

1 Like

:fu:

2 Likes

:smiley:

:grinning: Kodak shares surge 40% today.

Well then yesterday was the day for the punt

That boat may have sailed

1 Like

The BBC report

has some lovely quotes:

… it’s hard to say if there’s a bubble but it certainly is indicative of a frothy investment market …

and

… Bitcoin could be a bubble. But the blockchain industry is not a bubble, it’s a solid platform built on mathematics (my bold)

So, like the Ellis drainhole then. What could possibly go wrong :laughing: ?

VB

People who owned shares in the orignal Kodak won’t have forgotten how they got burnt when the original collapse occured without all the current blockchain technofuckery. I would have thought a tent map, or some similar simple chaotic process might be just as entertaining a way to part fools from their money.

1 Like

Much is hype of course and the crypto currency shit basically represents investing in criminality and thin air IMO.

The idea of a distributed ledger however, which securely stores and records intellectual property rights/ownership seems to me to be something that would have value in a modern digital world. This has already worked well in the diamond market I believe (tracking the provenance of individual diamonds) - more cost efficient than the legalistic, expensive contractual process of protecting rights we have now (data protection regulation and compliance is about to go off the scale for example), so a cost effective alternative would have great appeal.

It could definitely work for second hand hi-fi too.

I’m in.

I wonder what existing photo agencies will make of this and if it is compatible with their libraries? It’s essentially an additional level of security for rights protection and I don’t know what the size of the problem is for existing stock photographers. Or to put it another way, how many of them will shell out for this. I assume it will be a straightforward commercial decision, money lost through rights infringement vs cost of Kodac service.