Investment Ideas

Take a look at Hargreaves Lansdowne, Stocks and Shares ISA, Ready-made ISA, Choose a ready made ISA.

Select Growth, Balanced Growth.
There is plenty of data there on past performance, but eventually you always have to trust a domain expert as to what the level of risk is. Your potential for loss is almost always 100%

Buy HiFi Wigwam - licence to print money.:grin:

1 Like

Premium bonds if you are risk averse

Or try Funding Circle - I use it for business borrowing and its very well run in terms of underwriting and Iā€™m a very good bet :wink:

Youā€™d be very lucky if you get 1% from those, and for that youā€™d have to invest the max amountā€¦ imoā€¦

Buy a Toblerone factory.

The Ready-made ISA managed portfolios are something I think I could invest in but I need to do some reading first to get a better grasp of the details. It used to be simple, go to a bank, open a savings account, get 6% yearly interest and thank you very much. Now thereā€™s so much money sloshing about the banks donā€™t want ours anymore. I assume thatā€™s the reason anyway. Grumble moan.

Buy a classic Porsche, drive it for a few years, and sell it for more than you paidā€¦ :grinning:

2 Likes

If you can afford to lose 10% of it, why not invest that 10% into a high risk high return investment? Such as UK smaller companies unit trusts. You could also look for social benefits, like green electricity bonds.

Iā€™d be happy to risk 10% on a safer bet at a lower rate of return more so than 10% on a more risky bet at higher rate of return. But yep, itā€™s another mini-strategy to consider. :+1:

My barber drives a Porsche. He tries to squeeze a mention of it into every conversation too. Must be a Porsche thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Boyles are offering 20/1 on Burnley for the win at Man U tomorrow :+1:

Thatā€™s actually not a bad shout. Vokes has a bit of form. Not puttinā€™ me life savings on it thoā€™. :astonished:

There is a lot of truth in this. Quantitative Easing was really designed to do two major things
(i) Avoid a collapse in asset prices and a deflation
(ii) Create a bit of a consumption boom through increases in the availability of money

Supporting and eventually driving up asset prices necessarily drives down rates of return. In the current situation we have done two things with any spare cash
(a) Buy additional years of pension. This is great because the Government subsidises you through tax rebates. I will have a full pension for my 18 years of service in Australia and by the time I have done 12 years in the UK I will have a second full pension. You need to be more than 10 and preferably more than 15 years from retirement for this to work for you

(b) We have paid off our mortgage as fast as possible. Every extra Ā£1 you pay off is returning you the stream of future interest payments you would otherwise give to the bank.

These strategies are fucking boring but paid well in the medium term. They are also low risk. (a) is best if you pay a very high marginal rate of tax and really needs you to get some professional advice in order to optimise the outcomes. (b) works best if you have an Aussie style mortgage, which we did for 18 years in Oz, so have no mortgage to bother about now. You would need advice on (b) to avoid some fecker mis-selling you a product. After (a) and (b) there are ISAs etc, but we really have not got enough extra income to be arsed with those.

Very sound advice. Never, ever service a debt you donā€™t have to service. By all means keep a cash buffer for unexpected circumstances, but other than that, pay off debt. Then itā€™s time for coke and hookers.

Whatā€™s the expert view on servicing debt incurred through coke and hookers?

In truth, having just inherited some cash, the old ā€˜pay off mortgage vs coke and hookersā€™ dilemma is proving more difficult than I expected.

And Iā€™m only half joking.

Party like a potentate. Worry about the consequences later.

1 Like

He meant to say ā€˜Pay off the mortgageā€™ then sell coke and hookers from your new debt-free gaff. What could possibly go wrong?

Yes please