Io1 and SUT?

That is very interesting indeed :thinking: Have been wondering about putting an Io through my Paradise for some time now. What value load resistors do you use in the Paradise with the Io?

I used 2 ohm loading plugs

1 Like

Sounds about right.

1 Like

I think I’d go for 10 Ohm if you have some

1 Like

Will try that. :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I’ve always found that a bit high. Usually prefer 2.2 or 3.3…

I’ll try both and see what happens and if there is a difference.

Sorry to revive this thread but as the new owner I am having similar issues to Spider. I can get it quieter if I use long leads and site it a long way away from the pre, turntable etc but wonder if getting them re-cased would help. The current case is plastic and of course the transformers themselves sit on top. Would a metal case fully enclosing them make a significant improvement.

For now I have the IO running into the Nagra PLP and its inbuilt SUT to good effect and no noise but would like to give these a proper try.

Not saying this is the answer but something like it may be worth looking at

What earth connections do you have?

Thats not a bad idea although I understand Mu metal can easily loose its shielding properties if bent and I assumed drilled.

@bmtell Its earthed from the arm to the SUT and SUT to the Nagra. The Nagra is battery powered but is on constant trickle charge and I assume is earthed through it mains supply. I have tried additional earths to the power amp and no earths at all. The former made no difference and the later hummed really badly as I would have expected.

When I use the Nagra built is SUT’s its earthed from the arm direct to the Nagra without issue.

If you connect an earth wire to the cases of the transformers does it help?

I know they have an earth wire in the box.

Will give that a try later and report back.

I used to have one many years ago which was bought of Tom on AOS and had been cased by @Valvebloke . Might get the same done with these.

Even found my advert from 6 years ago when I sold them with a handy diagram Graeme did and left inside.
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?38392-DIY-built-Audio-Note-AN-S2L-SUT

That does appear to work well, thanks @bmtell. I was able to loosen off the transformers and pinch an earth lead between an existing metal washer and the metal case of the transformer. That runs to the preamp and the tonearm now just goes to the SUT.

Now I just need to resist buying S3 transformers and getting those cased up. Suspect I will fail with that aim early next year.

1 Like

FWIW, it doesn’t lose its permeability but it is reduced by some processes - cans like that will have been annealed post-forming, so will be 100%. Drilling should have less effect, especially if you go slow and avoid heat build-up.

I’ve used permalloy sheets to make external bands for transformers, and they work very well despite my cack-handing cutting and forming.

1 Like

Thanks for that, something to explore if I have further issues or go down the DIY route for the higher spec transformers.

If you do it right, shielding is always a good thing for SUTs, and it is, for once, a case of ‘The More, The Better’ :ok_hand:

Provided the metal doing the shielding doesn’t ‘join in’ with the expensive metal you’ve carefully chosen for the laminations & degrade its performance.

1 Like

Earthing is illogical
In my set up we found that all the noise disappeared when we earthed the tone arm to the Pre-amp and the SUT to the phono stage.

The ‘we’ being mainly @coco :grinning:

1 Like