Is Democracy Exhausting?

But we have lions on our footballists kit, so they must be Brexit British and good to go

If we are short if lions we make up for it with our stocks of liars.

Meanwhile democracy is happening elsewhere

1 Like

Democracy in action. This is Roscommon-Galway where the result has not been declared, but it looks to be in line with everywhere else. Roscommon voted against marriage equality a couple of years back.

This result is a direct result of a Citizen’s Assembly (see here) which dealt with some issues that politicians had been booting into the long grass as they were too difficult/controversial. The previous Constitutional Convention (see here) had laid the foundations for various changes including the change to the constitution that brought about marriage equality.

Maybe now they’ll get around to removing the ridiculous blasphemy provisions in the constitution and doing away with the legal statutes that can be used to drive prosecutions for blaspheming.

The Irish Constitution is very poorly written. For example, De Valera, who wrote it, excluded divorce believing marriage to be sacrosanct. Unfortunately he made no provision for annulments meaning that even if the Pope said your marriage never existed, the State knew differently. DeV was a bit of a silly old cunt.

1 Like

From my very basic knowledge of Irish history, (and what I did read was a long time ago) DeV basically left the moral policy making and guardianship to the Catholic Church.
This left them in an incredibly powerful position, I’m not just talking about the Magdalene Laundries but the power the local parish priest had in rural Ireland was astonishing. My Mum grew up in rural Kerry and some of the stories she told me were horrendous. I also worked with a woman who grew up in the 60s and 70s on a council estate in Dublin and that was pretty grim too.

it has taken Ireland a long time to cast off the shackles that DeV put them in.

2 Likes

Until we reintroduce heads on poles along Westminster bridge, for politicians who fail their voters, things will continue to go downhill.

A way needs to be found to hold theses cunts to account.

3 Likes

Nail hammer interface right there.

Works for me. Can we start with Johnson, Gove, Rees-Mogg, Corbyn and McDonnell please?

3 Likes

No room for May or Cameron (whose weakness created this mess)?

2 Likes

No. I’m quite enjoying the spectacle of May’s slow motion car crash style of government and I want Cameron to endure a life time of humiliation and ridicule for gambling with the country’s future and losing.

2 Likes

Perhaps this for Cameron, with each horse from one of the four corners of the U.K.?

3 Likes

Probably better idea to replace the horses with pigs though.

I remember Diane Abbott (Yes I know) being asked if all politicians lie.
she said ‘Of course they do’.

The reason is that the electorate want Scandinavian social care, pensions etc and they also want American levels of taxation. That is impossible but politicians have to be seen to be 'giving the people what they want, or at least promising it.

1 Like

Nutshell

But, was she lying…

3 Likes

You forgot to mention her comment that “234% of politicians lie, the other 47.5% don’t”

2 Likes

Not every country with PR is like Belgium

True. Italy for example.

It’s a good job for the rest of us that Germany has PR. It’s the only thing that’s holding them back.

VB

1 Like

You’d need five then.

1 Like

Touché!

Lemme put it a different way. I don’t think it’s the system itself, i think it’s the level of adversarial bollocks that accompanies the systems and attracts / rejects giant-cunt-ism among its MP’s

Case in point: over here (Hyggeland) the winning coalition hammers out a Programme, then gets on with it. It’s nornally not hugely radical, for obvious reasons.

However, where there is the opportunity to reach out ‘across the middle’ then this happens quite often.

Legislation is more future-proofed if entered into by a wide L/R coalition, where there’s a degree of common interest. Everyone’s grown up enough to know this, and to accept the inevitable “oh but we said something slightly different in our manifesto.”

The politicians are pragmatic enough to see the bigger picture and not go full outrage-mode
The public are sufficiently non-Daily-Mail / full Gammon mode to appreciate that their politicians are by and large running the country as best they can.

Question: under what circumstances do you imagine this could happen in the UK (I’m tempted to just say england, cos IMHO it’s a very English problem)