Is this enough?

I’ve had Vega, Bricasti and a few other decent ones… now the Mytek DAC, which I really rate.

2 Likes

I was going to mention Bricasti but thought the price would be more than the Ops budget.

How does the Myrtek compare to the Bricasti?

I would say Mytek is not quite as ‘analogue’ possibly, but still very good indeed (direct into active speakers). I haven’t done an A/B but there really isn’t that much of a difference that it would bother me, especially as the Bricasti was 3x the price of the Mytek. Just awaiting Audiotone JS-2 LPS which apparently makes a difference.

Veils lifted probably :grin:

2 Likes

Hi, Tony here from New Zealand. Have just joined this group.
Would like to know how you’re enjoying the Terminator?
I’ve only just got into digital as I’ve only ever played vinyl.
Currently using a Naim DAC-V1 but have ordered a Termie.
What streamer are you using?
At the moment I’m connecting my Samsung phone usb into the DAC-V1 usb and streaming Tidal.
Would I get an audible step up using a streamer?
This newbie would appreciate any advice.
Thank you! Cheers! Tony.

8 Likes

Welcome :ok_hand:

welcome.

Do you need any advice regarding your choice of footwear?

2 Likes

My 2c: no.

The streamer just delivers data, like a hard disc.

The streamer can make your life easier with a decent UI though.

You’ll probably find more love for vinyl than streaming here.

Although in general you’ll find more posts about booze, barbecues and @anon14766838’s war crimes against footwear.

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I am enjoying my vinyl but the digital is getting very close.
The denafrips dacs are supposed to have an analogue sound so we’ll have to wait n see. Should have mine within a month.
Will post my results.
Thanks. Cheers! Tony.

Hi again, my question about enjoying the terminator dac was aimed at Clap.
Cheers! Tony.

you need a DAC made by badgers for a smoooooooth analogue sound

1 Like

VTA is out far too often on my streamer.

It’s so sad. They should ban it.

1 Like

The Termie is as powerful as the all blacks. It totally overwhelms complex music. Nothing causes it to lose its way or become confused. Listening to Moon Duo or Follakzoid, where there are waves upon waves of sound, sounds very different to my Young dac (which I liked) because the Young would get confused and be unable to cope (I now realise). This is partly why it sounds analogue.

It makes all cds sound good. Things like a cheap Howlin Wolf compilation are listenable. I rarely use the OS and stick to NOS. The soundstage is huge.

Mine has the original board. I haven’t felt the need to upgrade to the new DSP. Maybe one day.

I don’t stream. I just use a TEAC VRDS as a CD transport. I’m considering getting a Jays Audio transport in due course. I’ve been tempted by an Aune media transport or pi but haven’t gotten round to it. The build of the Termie is so good it’s the reason I’m considering a Jays Audio CD transport. This high end Chinese stuff is starting to really compete with high end Jap stuff (Esoteric) at a fraction of the price. I think the Termie looks great too. It’s end game digital for me.

It takes a long time to break in. A minimum of 100 hours but it’ll continue to improve way past that. I’m using some cera discs underneath it which I think helps. It sounds better using a warm sounding mains cable.

This is full of rong. A valve output stage for your DAC is a good thing. The badger DACs are overpriced and under specified IMO. I much prefer my Aesthetix to any of the AN or Lampizator DACs I’ve tried. The AN is a lot of meh! For your money though.

hated creatures…

You had me until this bit.

4 Likes

Awful. Fuzzboxes. Very, very spendy too, and hard to shift.

4 Likes

I knew it would get a reaction. :grin:

1 Like

Hey, I’m cool with it. Knock yourself out, go for the full loom.

1 Like

All DACs that measure adequately sound exactly alike.

HTHs :+1:

There, we can all go home now. Nite nite.

Pick_of_the_day

1 Like