Lease returns wear and tear

Well I started the thread in july. It had been resolved.

Surprise we never did get the required report with photos showing damages.
After an independent assessor looked at the car (apparently)…we now have had the bill reduced by £900 to a far more reasonable £75.
We never had to argue except to ask for the required report, and cancelled the direct debit they would have taken the original amount with.
Scheming cunts trying it on… Is all I can say

4 Likes

What a great result!

Restores your faith that the right checks and balances are there (well some of it anyway). :wink:

Necrothread time.

Are there any horror stories? I’ve been quoted £450 for a rather basic insurance thing for repairing dings and alloys. I’m sure this has gone up £50 since I last spoke to them, which always raises alarm bells with me. I’m tempted not to bother, reading that What Car thing @gthang linked.

Alloys might be an issue given it’s parked on the street and occasionally by the wife, but repairing all 4 for minor damage should only be half the insurance I reckon.

Any further comments?

I think it depends on manufacturer. I returned a Mazda with a few scratches but generally ok with no issue. The wife’s mini had a creased rear bumper and a broken speaker grill plus a few scratches after 4 years and mini were fine.

Merc have (had) a horrid reputation but supposedly they all use BCRA(?) assessors now

If you can find a tame assessor maybe ask them what they’d report?

This one is due to go back anytime, im sooo looking forward to the same rigmarole

I suspect I’m tempting fate by typing this but I returned the Ford with;

• 6,200 miles more than the agreed mileage*
  • The most recent (major) service not yet carried out
  • some scratches and marks and a ‘fat bastard using a sports seat’ mark on the driver’s seat bolster
  • 4 seriously kerbed wheels.

The bill I was sent? £200 for wheel refurb. Couldn’t believe it.

*Technically the mileage allowance had been increased to allow for the extra time I had the car in lockdown but it was still over mileage.

I was once billed by MB for a kerbed alloy and minor ding for about £500.

Porsche advised me of a kerbed alloy on my first Boxster, and I used their recommended refurbisher for about £75, as opposed to the £125 per alloy they would bill me for.

The Macan had a scratch on it from a scrape with a plant - i pointed it out to them when i dropped it off, but they sorted it out as I was getting another Porsche.

I bet that does tend to smooth the waters somewhat :grinning:

3 Likes

On our company lease cars we have to get every tiny scratch repaired, by a company chosen by the lease company and paid for from our company’s insurance!

This is a PITA as it goes down on MY insurance record as a “non-fault accident” and I get hounded forever by ambulance-chasing law firms.

We handed the leaf back with about 3k excess mileage, a cracked fog light, some minor scrapes and a fucked sill from the wife fucking up a turn on a multi storey car park exit ramp.
Total bill?

£300ish iirc. Low enough that we bit their fucking arm off, at the knee.
Loved the car, horrific depreciation. 38k to 8k in 2 years.

:flushed:

£1,500+/month … you could get a very decent jag/merc/porker/ for that

£30k in 2 years?
How many miles were on it when you handed it back?

How do you know the true value after two years? Wasn’t the £8k just the figure in the contract?

Genuine question btw… :slightly_smiling_face:

it had about 23k miles onit when it went back, and that was the auto trader price we used to see what we should get for one if we sold it again immediately, it was a few years ago and people were still worried about battery longevity.
The balloon was 12k. as we had a very cheap pcp monthly payment (£220 iirc)
Yes the depreciation would have bought a very nice car but it was money that never hit us as it was all shouldered by the finance co, so a great deal for us for 2 years
Things have improved now.

That was a good deal

Yeah they gave us a very good price on our trade in too - they really wanted to make the sale, right time, right place and it saved us loads as the wife was commuting Bedford to Milton Keynes for most of that time so it cost us way less in fuel (electricity) too. saved us a bundle of cash. except for the horrific depreciation of course but we didn’t worry about that obviously.

1 Like