Low output cartridge problem

I have a at vm95sh cartridge.
I didn’t realise how low the output of it was 3.5 and I have to have the ai300 on almost full volume to get it loud.
It’s better on the quad pre/power,so using that at the moment.

Is there such a thing as you can plug in the back of the amp that boosts a signal?sort of opposite to the attenuators that quieten an input?

Ortofon made these,

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/ortofon/t-5.shtml

They have a gain of 26dB so may be better suited to an MC cart

1 Like

Maybe a cheap phono stage into an Aux input?

1 Like

Have tried the micromega phono stage I have,but it made no difference to the mm built in one

As long as you don’t have excess noise issues, there is no issue being at almost full volume.

(The amp is always doing the same job, you are just chucking less away at the volume pot)

2 Likes

Yes,it plays fine,just feels weird having to turn the volume up so far.

Don’t worry about it, just don’t forget to turn it down for CD :smiley:

2 Likes

As long as it’s loud enough it’s a non issue, in fact, as @edd9000 says, it’s actually better.

Most systems have too much gain.

3 Likes

While there’s no issue with having the volume control all round to 11, I’m surprised that this is happening. When I had a Decca (5mV as opposed to yours at 3.5mV), I had the volume at most at 9 o’clock into Snell Type Js. CDs needed much more gain, up to about 1 o’clock for the same journey.

Are you using the right valves in the phono stage? Check with Guy?

2 Likes

Bit of a weird one,when I first put this cart on a headshell,it sounded louder,I changed headshell to a micro seiki one.
I’ve just put it back on the other headshell and it’s much louder again. Strange

wonder if some of the pins are touching or the wiring incorrect on one compared to the other. Might need a couple of photos to compare.

1 Like

Equilibrium disturbed, time for nap.

1 Like

Yes will have a look

Could be poor connections increasing resistance and causing loss. You’d need to measure the wiring resistance between tags and phono plugs to be sure.

1 Like