Meat packaging

He should buy what he wants. Ted Baker.

What business sector is he in?

Procurement, major German international Engineering company and now he is newly promoted to Sector Hd UK, 1st report to a Director based in Norway.

When I worked for BMW, all the purchasing and procurement bods wore navy pin stripe, every last one of them!

head of procurement does here as well. Actually it might be more of a chalk stripe than pin stripe.

I can offer most excellent fashion advice. I even have a torso available for testing design concepts out.

Lol, Iā€™ll tell him to about pin stripes then :slight_smile: Mind you I suspect his first company car will be a german cuntwagon, so maybe Iā€™ll suggest one of those chalk striped suits so beloved by lawyers .

Solicitors generally stopped wearing the heavier chalk stripe about 10 years ago, Counsel are more inclined to still wear the heavier stripe but it tends to be older Counsel (ones in their 60ā€™s who are probably still wearing 15 year old+ suits). They can carry it off a bit more than younger types and donā€™t tend to come across a bit Arthur Daley.

I have Aquascutum suits that are 20 years old and still going. But, the quality of the cloth is nowhere near as good on their new suits.

The best suit Iā€™ve ever had was/is a Crombie which Iā€™ve had about 18 years.

I sold some 20 year old suits on Ebay last year and got between Ā£35 and Ā£50.

What is it that you like about it, or is it just the longevity?

Itā€™s the best quality one Iā€™ve had. The cut is the sharpest. The fabric is a wool mohair blend (its a summer weight). Even the lining is better. I was looking at the Crombie sale over Christmas. They talk about using ā€œcanvasā€ construction which I feel gives the jacket more shape and stands up to wear better. The quality is better all round. You get what you pay for. Their overcoats are beautiful.

Unfortunately, even in the sale their suits are now Ā£800+. I wouldnā€™t spend that on a suit. My limit these days is Ā£450. The last couple I bought (Aquascutum) I paid Ā£400. One was a nice navy flannel and the other was a three piece which looks smart and is a bit warmer in the winter. I buy the odd reduced really cheap Jaeger one at the outlet for Ā£100, in a short, which avoids even the cost of alterations. They last quite a while considering.

Iā€™ve also had Daks which sit in between Aquascutum and Crombie in terms of cost and quality imo. You can pick up a Daks in their sale for Ā£450.

The British type of cut suits me. Iā€™m not into Hugo Boss as I feel theyā€™re designed for Teutonic Krauts not 5ā€™ 9" Welshmen.

House of Fraser used to have a Aquascutum and Crombie concession but they went 10 years ago. Itā€™s hard to get a half decent suit down here. I can do mail order but itā€™s better to try them on before you buy.

Iā€™ve got a great semi retired Cypriot tailor who can do alterations.

1 Like

My last half decent suit purchase was Boss.

I really like it

Oh yeah, Iā€™ve know doubt theyā€™re decent, just not the right shape for me.

I canā€™t do slim fit either in any brand. Iā€™m a 33 waist and 11.5 stone so not exactly fat but at 44 Iā€™m just not a slim fit anymore.

https://www.raja-fashions.com/index.php/bookings/index/index/id/77

:smile:

2 Likes

I wore a suit once

1 Like

I used to get mine made in HKG when I was a regular visitor.

Skinny bastard

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what to think about Raja. Their website doesnā€™t have any images to speak of, so Iā€™m not sure what the standard is like. Their Instagram page is pretty inconclusive too. I think they would major on personalisation rather than real fit and fine workmanship. Inexpensive though.

Mr Daswani! I remember him doing fittings in London hotels in the late '80s early '90s. A colleague of mine at the Solicitors I worked for had a suit done by him, for a bit more than a M&S suit, and it seemed decent, but I was 19 at the time so am probably not the best judge in these matters because I was wearing chinos with a blazer and a Ben Sherman shirt as smart casual around then.

Really just posted as a wind up. I have a suit made by them if you are curious. Worn for my wedding and funerals etc then I got fat.

At the time (2004) trying to find a suit off the rack proved impossible.

Iā€™m thinking a minimum of Ā£1,500 for a bespoke suit made by a decent British tailor? Or is that too low?

:grinning:

2 Likes