Mince Pies... The Many Unhappy Returns of the Clag Police

Inject them with a little brandy?

1 Like

Yeah something like that. A teaspoon of one’s favourite tipple.

I think we’ve just found a situation where Just Eat would be acceptable.

This reminds me of my uncle Brian. When I was about 13 he introduced me to brandy and port in mince pies; we would remove the top, make a well in the mince and fill it to the brim with port and/or brandy.

I don’t remember much else of that Xmas day…

11 Likes

Lid.

1 Like

No crumble

Getting shot of the dusting might be good too.

1 Like

They had one job. To be a pie.

5 Likes

boo hoo pie. boo hoo lid. boo hoo crumble

4 Likes

Miriam would deploy more colourful language…

Just had another one of those co-op abominations which tick all the boxes. Awful.

You have taken the first step to full Heston stilton heresy. Think of this as friends making an early intervention.

1 Like

You forgot boo hoo dusting…

The pastry looks great on those, crumble or not. Mmmm crumble pie.

Crumble

5 Likes

I see the conformists have arrived with a skip load of butt-hurt. :clown_face:

There will be no progress, the conformists have spoken.

5 Likes

Yet suggest segments of an attractive yellow fruit on a pizza & all hell breaks loose.

6 Likes

Wasn’t actually crumble, but you see how it elicited a Pavlovian reaction.

A mince pie is a straightforward thing, it does not need fucking about with because done well, and within certain generous parameters, it is an entirely fucking excellent thing - greater than the sum of its humble parts.

Now, I wish I could link that statement to these -

(ÂŁ3 for 6)

…which I have recently ingurgitated.

I cannot.

Tried warm from the oven, they strive for adequacy, and approach it in a number of respects. For starters, unlike certain other M&S brethren, they have no worrying aromas. However they do fail to quite achieve true “Pie” status - hovering uneasily between that and “tart” with their tryhard snowflake lid-theme. That is A Thing that needs to fuck-off - it’s not a killer blow, just silly.

Where they do score highly is in a light hand with sugar - there is no granulated ‘Satan’s Dandruff’ on the top, just a very light dusting of powder. Similarly, the pastry is bordering on savoury which gives a nice contrast with the filling.

The filling is where things fall apart somewhat - it is frankly blander than a mormon-reacharound, and led just a little-too-vigorously by orange peel: not unpleasantly, but a mite too marmaladey to achieve balance. Spice is far too shy and retiring, booze undetectable, but fruit at least does make itself known.

I’d place these behind the Spar efforts, and ahead of all else I’ve tried so far.

You-can-do-a-lot-worse/10

2 Likes

The concept of left over mince pies is quaint.

2 Likes

Fixt.

By the way, what’s ‘cornfl our’ ? Should it be ‘cornfl hour’ ?