Mondie's speaker endgame: 4-way active, high efficiency horn system development

Purposeful certainly.

I agree and its for that reason I think any colour on the horn needs to be very dark. The horn in the photo is not the final version which will be gloss metallic black but in reality probably not look too different. They do look very purposeful and that is born from their design fundamentals and because of this we have found it difficult to ‘soften’ their appearance. They are mega braced and extremely inert, the Isobaric bass structure within adds a whole extra level of ridgidness. They stand around 1400mm tall and weight 100kg so not monsters but for the performance they are incredible.

1 Like

Is that 100kg each or for the pair? Either way is pretty substantial in my book!

100kg each. It is substantial but not for a 4-way active hybrid horn system. This is downsizing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would love to hear these sometime.

1 Like

These look absolutely nuts. Well played sir.

1 Like

I am sure we can work something out, problem is we are still renting and my room will be a compromise. I am sure with a bit of sound treatment though it will be manageable.

Hold a bake off when you get settled, sure to be popular.

1 Like

Could you have the colour of the horn the same as the baffle? Or close to it so it doesn’t distract from the whole speaker?

We could Frank and the final horns will be metallic black so may look different to in the pic above but regardless, the horn is fibreglass and the baffle is steel so they will look different. Hence the though of very dark metallic for a bit of interest and one less version of black.

A bakeoff is in order, depending on how they go in my compromised room (we’re still renting :frowning: ) otherwise smaller sesssions and of course Keggie 2020!

1 Like

These look nice.

Chelsea Blue? :+1:

1 Like

No, Dave, they don’t.

7 Likes

I think that you need to be careful when you have several contrasting finishes. If you are sold on the polished chrome and the brushed steel, I think that a colour would struggle to work. I’d stick with dark grey or black. If you change the back to be polished black, say, then a colour might work.

1 Like

yeah really need to stick with the polished back, otherwise they would look like fat bastards!

Do you support Blackpool now Dave ?

1 Like

That is Lamborghini Orange I think.

I thought red was this years throwaway stab at style? Munich positively reeked of it.

Anybody good at Photoshop, I am having trouble imaging the horn in a bright colour as much as I am attracted by bright things?

:+1:

The future’s bright…