....more armchair politics (Part 1)

They’ve become the puppets of Right wing libertarians who normally take the more discreet approach of trying to sway public and political opinion by flooding TV news shows with lobbyists and representatives of obscurely funded think tanks like the IEA, Tax Payers Alliance or the Henry Jackson society. This direct approach, of having their puppets in actual positions of power must seem much simpler.

2 Likes

+++Rant+++ They claim it’s a new era. It’s not. They claim to have a bold radical plan for growth. They don’t. They act like they have a mandate. They don’t. Literally 0.3% of us voted for them and none of this puerile shite was in the Tory manifesto. What gives them the right to pretend that their sixth form book of right wing cuntishness is some sort of manual for government? Get tae fuck. +++Rant over+++

8 Likes

5 Likes

The word ‘Tory’ used to describe a member of the Conservative party is derived from Irish ‘tóraidhe’ meaning outlaw or plunderer of stolen cash.

6 Likes

On the upside they are scrapping the abortion that is IR35.

1 Like

More Tax cuts for the rich :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for pointing that out, until you said it I had no idea what was in there :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Just because you say something is fair, it does not make it so.

Pretend I’m thick and spell it out for me please because I just don’t get this. How are tax cuts fair when someone on £20,000 pa benefits from £167 pa tax cut and someone on £200,000 pa benefits from a £5220 pa tax cut? How is that fair in the middle of a cost of living crisis? It would be fair if it was the other way round would it not? Also I believe I heard on C4 news that someone earning £1,000,000 pa would pay iro £55k less in tax. Only fair?

1 Like

More money in the pockets of the high earners mean they give better tips to the scummy working classes.

Everyone’s a winner

I know you’re being facetious but the truth is that if you give money to the poor they spend it locally and it actually circulates boosting the economy as it goes around. Give it to the rich and they save it. Tax cuts for the rich does nothing for the rest of us.

Duh, but Trickle Down Economics :roll_eyes:

Pffft, the poor will be fine. With these tax cuts the food banks will be overflowing with Asda dried pasta and tins of budget baked beans…

Not actually scrapping it, just repealing the last two changes to it which forced the decision onto the public then private sector clients.

It will go back to its original form, where the contractor makes the call and carries all the risks.

Its a big step in the right direction, it removes a load of dodgy intermediary companies which is good. It needs to be totally scrapped, but that isnt happening yet.

drip drip drip

2 Likes

IR35 simply highlights the absurdity of our taxation regime that has relentlessly pursued taxing the easy stuff - salaries. Most countries simply tax your income, and there’s usually some kind of NI in there.

We have a system that allows loads of deductions unless you’re salaried, and has different rates for different types of income. It’s become hugely complicated. And the 'ee and 'er NI has become quite the burden to try to avoid as well.

We should just have all income and gains lumped into one pot, and you’re taxed on that. Obviously a gradated system so the first bit is tax free etc.

Being a contractor should bring you the benefits of a higher daily rate, to compensate for the uncertainty over the next contract, lack of employment benefits (holidays, insurance etc), but there’s no reason why you should get a better tax or NI deal.

There’s a whole industry that has built up over IR35 and contracting, and it is completely crazy - it’s not doing anything for the economy or of any societal benefit whatsoever. But our tax system generates these ridiculous industries.

1 Like

8 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

It feels like they’re just rinsing every last penny before their inevitable GE loss.

5 Likes

I live in hope.

2 Likes