....more armchair politics (Part 1)

Made me think of Dobby the house elf

3 Likes

Meet the new boss , same as the old boss….

She farting, non?!

9 Likes

Twas funny, even the handshake was attempted at a distance of a couple of meters until Charlie boy reeled her in.

she had previous form

1 Like

Well worth a read

2 Likes

That is part of the lot I work for.

I sincerely hope that the new head manages to keep the momentum going. I saw with my daughters’ primary school what a good head can do - and how quickly things can fall apart if the replacement can’t manage.

1 Like

Only catching snippets of the transition shenanigans being broadcast as Charles takes over.
On the one hand, it’s history in the making, following rules that have evolved over centuries. On the other it could have been an opportunity for there to be some kind of discussion about whether we want to continue living in a monarchy. I imagine there’d be all sorts of noises about how ‘now is not the time’ to be having these discussions but actually now should have been the perfect time (the first opportunity for 70+ years) to discuss it.
I hear Charles earnestly saying he’ll remain our humble servant to the end of his days with the other implication being that we also remain his subjects. I’m sure he means well but I’m not asking him to be a humble servant or to be his subject.

A lot of procedure, some of it decidedly arcane*, has smoothly clicked into gear to assure a safe transition to a new monarch with absolutely no chance for the people of the country to express a view. It troubles me. There can’t be a peaceful way, it would seem, to even try to change this arrangement.

*Stuff being done first and foremost for ‘the City of London’ always raises hackles. A country within a country & none of our concern.

Admittedly the horns do carry well & there is some magnificent hat & boot cuntery going on if you look closely.

2 Likes

To be fair, what the article doesn’t talk about is the educational support from the central trust to the schools. There are some really good people who work with the primary heads in our lot (I have been in meetings with other schools and have seen this first hand myself).

There is a separate question about whether all schools would have got the same from the local authority before academisation, of course.

In general the things that happen at a national scale do so via the mechanism of government. We don’t ‘express our view’, at least at the point at which things actually happen, ourselves. Instead we elect our representatives to do that on our behalf. At the last election, even though it was clear that Boris Johnson would continue as PM as a consequence, ‘we’ (not me, of course) voted in a Tory majority. So ‘we’ have made our bed and now we have to lie in it.

It’s been clear for a while that the Queen would be gone soon. In the last few years I’ve detected no clamour in this country to free ourselves of the monarchy (some other commonwealth countries, by contrast, have clearly raised the issue of becoming republics on the death of the Queen).

We’ve only once (recently) allowed the people of the country to express their view on a single issue, and that didn’t exactly go well. I suspect if you asked the people right now, following a relatively sudden death rather than after a year or more’s debate, the result would be a more-than-convincing majority for keeping the monarchy.

2 Likes

I’m sure you’re right especially at this moment. The problem is the discussion won’t happen, alternative ways of managing state business won’t be suggested. The cost/value of the existing system won’t be examined & the forelock tugging & general deference will persist.

2 Likes

Discussion about anything only happens if enough people want a change from whatever the status quo is. As I say, I really can’t detect any clamour for that change. Perhaps it needs a charismatic campaigner ?

The King is not young. If you start now you might be able to build up a head of steam sufficient to change things at the next transition ? (It’s sobering to think that there was a time when simply writing that would have been grounds for my conviction and execution.)

A change of government is the first step.

5 Likes

Now that I would vote for.

2 Likes

7 Likes
8 Likes

Presume all the corgis go with her as well.

I thought in a glimpse that the person making the proclamation, wore an Alfa Romeo medal.
But no, only the left side of the medal was similar.
BTW, anybody noticed the King’s Rolls had a broken right head light?

1 Like

Hope the Police took note of the registration. Oh hang on…

4 Likes