More shit that doesn't merit its own thread (septic tank overflow alert)

Sunlit Uplands Import Tax

But I’m exporting :thinking:

Brexit doesn’t care

1 Like

1988 - “MaxineHeadboom.exe” - a looped series of blocky .BMPs.

That evening I copied it on to every single one of my colleagues’ machines and added it to AUTOEXEC.BAT

I was just smart enough to add it to my own machine as well, and such was the ensuing panic that no-one noticed I was purple, crying, and asphyxiating with laughter…

One victim was an ugly and intensely-annoying Australian ginga called Madeleine who was severely partially-sighted, and hopelessly slow and incompetent; she had a huge monitor (for the day) on which all that she did was massively magnified.

She insisted someone explain to her what she was seeing, and still didn’t understand when they did.

One of the best days of my life.

5 Likes

Those were the days, those images were legend.

:+1: :+1: :+1:

5 Likes

Can starting motors act up in cold weather?

IIRC there was one that got a bit part in this, but it wasn’t nominated for an Oscar

3 Likes

Who can forget Herbie?

It is possible but My experience running mostly old motors since 1976 It is more likely that it is a connection or poorly battery - Hopefully someone more expert might chip in.

Battery is new, and connections seem fine
Once I start and run it for 20 mins it starts fine, leave it an hour and back to nothing
Need to get it to a mechanic to sort as its a pain in the arse

Connections at the starter are OK? Is the engine hard to turn over or nothing happens when you turn the key?

Is it dropping charge? Look at alternator belt tension and connections. Any corrosion on the battery connectors?

Nothing for about 30 turns, then it will attempt to turn over, then it catches after anoth 20 or so turns

Only happens when it’s cold, is fine when weather is warmer and starts first time when car has been running for a bit

So it’s not the battery if it’s got the juice to turn it over 30 times.

Check glow plugs and Plug leads.

1 Like

That suggests glow plugs (is it a diesel?)

Yes diesel, I thought glow plugs, but when I turn the key it doesn’t attempt to turn over, someone elsewhere said starting motors can get a flat spot… No idea if that is true

It doesn’t turn over at all for the first 30 or so turns, just does nothing

Try tapping the body of the starter with a hammer, if it turns over good indication the starter needs replacing

2 Likes

Glow plug pre heater, or electronic sensor, for allowing firing?
Something like this

Do you mean turn of the key? So turn the key to start, nothing, turn back to off. Repeat x 30.

Like that?

When you turn the key do you hear any relays clicking?

1 Like