New budget laptop vs MacBook pro (2015)

Impossible on anything made in the last 10-15 years I believe

2 Likes

Usually soldered in afaik,

Fusion 360 is not exactly speedy on my 2017 i5 running at 5GHz w/ 32GB of memory. Itā€™ll be unbearable on some cheap old lappy.

1 Like

Apple wankers. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Packing what they do into that form factor requires compromises Iā€™m afraid.

1 Like

The speed Iā€™ll be drawing at thoughā€¦

Youā€™ll have plenty of time to punch yourself in the face and ask why you didnā€™t just get a decent machine.

5 Likes

I need to keep it cheap because of horse reasons. So I can punch myself in the face with both fists, continuously. Otherwise itā€™ll be a fire sale Ć  la MJ2.

What about an i5 thinkpad, with no shite installed, crammed with as much RAM and as big a SSD as I can manage? It only has to have non spree killing inducing levels of slowness.

i7? 32gb

Just get the horse to kick you.

Which generation i5? Not all are equal as while they keep the monicker, performance increases over then years.

Also, while it doesnā€™t use 3D acceleration, it requires a GPU with plenty of video RAM - 4GB recommended.

Treat the minimums with caution, anything below recommended specs is likely to run like a pig in treacle. Even thenā€¦

1 Like

Thanks Pete, good advice, I really am behind the curve with computers these days, Iā€™ve been using fast running tablets for ages so any PC stuff I have to do is frustrating tbh. I had to scan some documents the other week and I nearly threw Claireā€™s computer down the stairsā€¦

1 Like

Got one going cheap? Ex Uni stock?

not allowed to buy them without the SPG approving

Yeah, I know, I already asked Claire about getting one from her IT dept.

I thought that they were called the Territorial Support Group these days.

2 Likes

special projects group - i pointed out the error of their chosen abbreviation, but none was old enough to understand

2 Likes

The wife used to work for FART (fast action response team) and so did I (Finance and Risk Technology).

SiL on the other hand worked for BAPS. No idea.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a Performance Related Acronym Team at work :+1:

2 Likes

It got even more stupid.

They eventually realised what theyā€™d done, but Finance wouldnā€™t give up their top billing, so we ended up with a sign over our desks that read

RAFT
Finance and Risk Technology

3 Likes

i knew of an organisation that had an Active Response Security Expert

2 Likes

and I worked on the Advanced Requirements System Engine.

2 Likes