New computer buying advice

Dell inspiron from their outlet. I’d say Chrome books are expensive for what you get.

1 Like

This. The £999 base model is a bit of a game changer. I don’t say that lightly and I’m about as far from an Apple fanboy as it’s possible to be.

@Kevin if you know anyone with an education email address - student/teacher etc., you can get it for £830.

1 Like

I wish I’d been able to grab educational discount, mine was 1900€ in the end, but it’s also my primary work machine so wasn’t base spec either, and that included the 3 year warranty

Buying anything like an M1 Mac or superduper laptop is going to be overkill for anyone who just wants to use OpenOffice and general browsing stuff.

Just buy another Thinkpad, I haven’t found any laptop that is as well made or has a keyboard as good as them.

1 Like

I’d just buy another Lenovo refurb, they are generally very reliable. Stuff happens.

Our Lenovo has been brilliant, but is getting a bit second hand now, I’d certainly buy another.

I sort of agree, but Macbooks do tend to last so the higher upfront cost is offset across a longer life. I’m a massive (Teslaesque) ThinkPad fanboy but- for a grand- the Macbook is the better option- this ThinkPad I’m typing on now is the tits but it ought to be as it was over two grand.

Almost bought one until it said 7-10 days delivery

Try Currys . Will be a bit more spendy but if you’re in a hurry …

I’ve got a MacBook Pro i7, Thinkpad T14 i7 and an Inspiron 15 i7

The MacBook is for home use, Thinkpad for work and running VMware workstation and the Inspiron for configuring customer kit. The Inspiron is shit and flimsy but I bought it to use in data centres etc so I don’t care if it gets scratched or dented.

Of all of them I prefer the Thinkpad, the touchpad on the MacBook is brilliant but the touchbar is useless beyond the volume control unless you are using video or picture editing programs.

I know a few people that have bought these recently. Seems like a nice machines.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops/inspiron-15-3000/spd/inspiron-15-3505-laptop/cn30505?view=configurations

We’ve stopped buying them unless special permission is sought first…why? our technicians are reporting more frequent failures with Macbooks, than our standard Windows offering of a Lenovo laptop

The new Airs are also fanless which is terrific, imo. Not to be underestimated.

I bought my XPS a year ago. If I was was in the market for a £1000 laptop today, I’d buy the Air.

I bought a ryzen 5 500gb ssd 8gb inspiron 15 last year. It breezes through libre office, web etc and even manages older games. It was £500 I think but Kevin could get a ryzen 3 version for less. The screen isn’t fantastic but the keyboard is good with a number pad. That was from Currys

I’m not!

Are HP really as shit as I seem to think they are?

The cheap ones are honking.

1 Like

The expensive ones are even worse.

We use the £1200 Elitebook G3 & G4 at work and there is a huge number that are now failing with swollen batteries causing the metal case to split apart. The drivers for them are also utterly shite which causes the display connected to the dock to intermittently stop working, and wifi to hang.

I will never ever touch HP laptops with a bargepole.

3 Likes

Work laptop is an i5 elite book. Loaded with corporate spyware. Works fine. But expensive for what they are. And it’s tiny, 13” screen I think.

no they are utterly shite.

2 Likes

Thanks all.
I bought a Dell Inspiron from Currys in the end.
Off to collect it as soon as the Rugby finishes.

We use the Dell Latitude series at work and they seem farly reliable

2 Likes