New or refurb laptop

My 10 year old laptop is dying.
Over the years It has had failed video card and hard drives replaced on the cheap, started off with Vista installed and is now running W10 so it doesn’t owe me anything.
The video card is overheating every now and then and crashing so time for a replacement.
I generally use it for net browsing and the occasional bit of photo processing.
I also use it for ripping any new CDs that I buy although I am not averse to buying a separate optical drive.

Any thought re new or refurb?

I have seen this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311654410916?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any thoughts or other suggestions welcome.

Avoid HP, they are not good second hand buy’s as they are expensive. I have had two and both of them the power supply failed and took out the laptop when they were about 3 years old.

My choice is Dell Latitude as they are well made and quite quick and you can get loads of parts.

Lenovo are also good.

Dell outlet is always worth a look, usually a discount code on twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/DellOutletUK/status/872450582975574016?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

My 2c on the optical drive - it might limit your options looking for something with an optical drive, so as you suggest just look for something you like and bother about that later.

My desktop is an all-in-one (basically the plinth is the guts of a laptop, with a dirty great monitor on top of it). I then bought a USB-powered CD/DVD drive for the odd occasion I want to rip a CD. I happened to buy Samsung at the time, but a surprisingly sturdy one might set you back £15-20.

Agree, HP are crap. Really like Lenovo.

I got a new Lenovo laptop 18mths ago. Its been very well behaved running windows 10.
Cant fault it tbh.

Cheers guys,
Thanks for the comments regarding HP, I had heard a few things re reliability.
Went for this one in the end, includes an optical drive.

1 Like

Maybe this?
It has a higher resolution screen. bigger hard drive, and W10 Pro.

SSD is a lot faster than a SATA drive.

I agree. A must have SSD. It does say that it is an SSD.

Item specifics
Condition: Used :
Seller notes: “Fully Tested In Like New Condition With 3 Months Warranty and A FREE Laptop Carry Sleeve.”
Operating System: Windows 10 Processor Type: Intel Core i5 5th Gen.
Storage Type: HDD (Hard Disk Drive) Processor Speed: 2.20GHz
Release Year: 2016 Graphics Processing Type: Integrated/On-Board Graphics
Operating System Edition: Professional Type: Notebook/Laptop
Colour: Black MPN: 20DF004VUK
Hardware Connectivity: VGA, ETHERNET PORT, HDMI, USB 3.0 Battery: Up to 9 Hours 48 Whr Internal Battery
Features: Dolby® Advanced Audio™, 15.6" FHD 1920 x 1080 220 nit Antiglare, Dual Array Microphone, TrackPoint ®, 3D Camera, Built-in Webcam Speakers: Dolby Advanced Audio
Brand: Lenovo VGA: 1 x VGA Port
Model: ThinkPad E550 Processor Turbo Speed: 2.7GHz
Screen Size: 15.6" Hard Drive Capacity: 500GB
Memory: 8GB

Needs some clarification, I guess.
LENOVO THINKPAD E550 I5-5200U 2.2GHz / 2.7GHz 8GB 500GB SSD 15.6" WIN 10 LAPTOP

1 Like

You chose well, a new laptop at that price would be shit

I would have paid more for new, but similar spec was minimum of £200 more, I am not sure really what you get for that, especially as it comes with a year’s warranty and of course the 14 day DSR returns gives me a chance to power it up and check it out.
I am not a gamer so don’t need that type of performance. We use Dell and Lenovo at work and they seem pretty reliable.