New: Recommend a New Car or just moan about random cars šŸ™„

Subaru Legacy, ugly but it will suit you.

2 Likes

So, perfect for @MGOwner

2 Likes

Itā€™s been illustrated this week that a new car PCP at 0% APR for 3 years, is much better value than a second hand car @ 4% APR then expenses around the 50K mile mark plus MOT.
Over Ā£1K worth of work this week because I took the car for 42 months. Advisories can be ignored if itā€™s change over time but not for 6 months.

Wow! 1K? What was wrong with it? How many miles?

Does that factor in ownership of the vehicle at the end of the comparison period?

Itā€™s a Mazda.

3 Likes

50K - corroded rear brakes replaced plus pads. Front pads. 2 front tyres. Ā£390 for the service (which I wouldnā€™t have done if Iā€™d have changed up at 3 years.

No. I donā€™t want to own it. I donā€™t want the hassle or depreciation.

If you want a hassle free car why not just get a BMW 320i on PCP?

How many miles are you doing each year?

So your alternatives might be i) abandon it in a layby, ii) donate it to charity, iii) sell it. If you chose iii) you would get some money. That could affect the result of the calculation.

Incidentally Iā€™m about to find out exactly what the costs of an MOT around the 50k mile mark are as mine goes in for just that in 3 weeks or so. Iā€™ll be very disappointed if itā€™s Ā£1k, and mineā€™s a 61 plate. That said, I have had to pay for the odd tyre. Do you not have to do that on PCP ?

VB

1 Like

But PCP means all youā€™ll have is the depreciation youā€™ve just funded?

2 Likes

Youā€™ve got away lightly so far. Get rid of it asap.

At 58K my 6 had to have a new Turbo, camshaft, fuel pipes, oil strainer, engine wiring and a load of sensors and other stuff. About Ā£4k (under warranty). I was offered a free tank of fuel for the inconvenience of breaking a lotā€¦so every cloud.

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yes. And you must replace like for like.

So, to the OP :roll_eyes:

You might be able to get a OK spec Mondeo for Ā£400 a month, they are good cars.

1 Like

Shortlisted.

Kia Optima Sportswagon. They do them with a DSG

1 Like

If youā€™re going to buy diseasel, donā€™t buy Japanese. They donā€™t do it in their own country, so it wonā€™t be as well developed.

My Mazda (petrol) is currently 14 years old, has never been off the road and every service has been done same day and cost under Ā£500.

If you are wedded to oil and not French, youā€™re left with German or the wrong choice. PCP takes into account used values, so youā€™re basically straight to BMW. 3 series tourer.

You are, as an aside, losing a lot of the benefit of these, as they have very low CO2 emissions so very low company car tax.

Running a car that is a few years old is much cheaper than new. But tends to impress the family lessā€¦ :kissing_heart:

1 Like