New: Recommend a New Car or just moan about random cars šŸ™„

My point Graeme, is that all of that expense would have been avoided if I had taken a 36 month PCP instead of a 42 month.
The tyres/brakes/service/MOT wouldnā€™t have been necessary.

I know that you donā€™t want a Kia Rio, but, 5 years ago we bought a low (8K) mileage model from a Kia main dealer for Ā£8K., At 49,000 mls we have just traded it for an 8K 17 plate Kia Picanto SE, which also cost Ā£8K, they gave us Ā£4K in part ex, Ā£800 per year depreciation is pretty good in my book.

2 Likes

https://www.selectcarleasing.co.uk/car-leasing/jaguar/xf/estate/20i_portfolio_5dr_auto/24/10000/9/80755-14527-2019.html

XF sportbrake?

Bah, not diesel :frowning:

If you can ā€˜save upā€™ a whole load of servicing issues and hand them back to the carā€™s owners at the 36 month point then I can see that that would be a sensible thing to do. Theyā€™re a business of course, so the costs of that work will be spread over their customers somehow. The trick with buying from any large-volume seller is always to try to cut a deal where, as the customer, you get a disproportionately large share of the benefits and a disproportionately small share of the costs.

Our situation is different. Weā€™ve always paid cash for cars so the finance cost wouldnā€™t be 4%, it would just be the lost interest that we could otherwise have raised by investing the money i.e. fuck all for the last decade or so. And weā€™re prepared to run cars for a lot longer than 3 years (basically until they become too unreliable and/or too expensive to maintain) which means we get years and years where the depreciation costs are very small indeed.

VB

3 Likes

Or, just to complete the utterly predictable (but absolutely sensible, obviously) suggestions, what about a nice Discovery?

1 Like

Buzz, contradiction.

1 Like

What are you going to do when you retire, continue with PCP? If that is going to happen in the nearish future is that a consideration?

Is this a time for you to consider a different method of car ownership and save some cash?
36 x Ā£400 is Ā£14400 = Ā£4670 PA

My model is similar to Graemes I think buy a comfortable two or three year old car around Ā£10K and run it until it becomes unreliable. My milage averages Ā£15K Currently I am on 5 years going on 6 and that equates to Ā£1500 PA.

MOTā€™s are not generally a hassle if you use independent garages.

1 Like

Take off to Thailand.

That sounds like a great idea

1 Like

Iā€™m being tempted by one of these Ā£220 a month no deposit handback in two years. 12k miles. I hasten to add my bro is a Jag engineer.

Currently a 12 year focus estate Iā€™ve had for donkeys that has cost me next to nowt each year

Itā€™s actually better than that. The new price of cars is basically a lie - you can usually get a substantial discount if you pay cash, often around 20%. The 0ish% PCP deal is anything but.

interestingly the reverse was true with my last PCP. I could have financed the car differently the equiv of cash or PCP, but I was offered a discount albeit small (about 2%) to do a PCP.

We chose PCP as we donā€™t ever want to own the car, and we want to change every 2-3 years.

Are you going to get the othe half of the operation done then?

3 Likes

Itā€™s been multiple visits over many years. Snip here, tuck there. Adamā€™s apple next :+1:

2 Likes

That has crossed my mind as a family car. But Iā€™m sick of having to pay stupidly expensive prices for parts.

Leave Adam out of this!

3 Likes

Safe haven for proggers from ridicule and arrest?

Subaru Outback or Levorg :+1:

Prog is sooo much better for upsetting the neighbours :+1:

Ā£32,000

1 Like