New: Recommend a New Car or just moan about random cars 🙄

A blinded up Skoda :flushed: the world is truly fucked.

Don’t worry, get it outside in normal light and it will look dull and borring like all mainstream estates.

1 Like

Never ceases to amaze how much utter cack retails for these days :face_vomiting:

It’s an Audi with much better reliability.

Still got the heated rear window so you can keep your hands warm…etc etc :roll_eyes:

:+1:

How much should a car of the size and spec cost?

1 Like

Do you mean cost, or do you mean retail for?

Cost to buy it (retail). On the basis £32k is too much

Stop it, Wayne.

2 Likes

Okay I’ll try to behave…

Since I think you’re asking about what the price should be, I’ve got two answers.

1. For a price where sufficient people buying one make it worthwhile producing and supplying it (which is true but not that useful)

2. Or more specifically, for the list less about £6-7k which is what dealers are expecting to actually shift it for

You never pay full or anywhere near full list on a new car. Every dealer for every manufacturer works on an allowance per new car which they will discount to. The more premium the car the higher these allowances are, but with the premium can come desirability and hence no need to pass these on if there’s strong demand for a certain brand or model.

As for costs, about ten years ago I had access to the kinds of benchmarking info where you could pretty reliably price it up component by component, labour costs, standard OHs by OEM etc.

But the cost to rrp argument makes little sense when most motor manufacturers have followed the BMW strategy of saying fuck it to cost management and rely on the financing of their cars to generate their profits over and above margins on the car itself.

Add to that the growth in all kinds of financing schemes to put anyone with a salary into a Mercedes A class without ever actually owning it, and rrp and what is should cost becomes less and less relevant.

Anyway, I stick to my first answer which was ‘£32k for a fucking Skoda, fuuuck right off’ :joy:

2 Likes

Hahaha
Tldr

2 Likes

Executive Summary for the hard of reading -

‘£32k for a fucking Skoda, fuuuck right off’ :joy:

1 Like

Interesting. I forgot you might actually have some knowledge of what you are talking about.

So, what car isn’t cack for the price it retails / you can buy it for?

I bought a new car on a reverse auction website a few years back - https://www.autoebid.com/

Once you know what car you want, the site lets all of the dealers know and they bid against eachother downwards to win the sale.

it worked very well, none of the local dealers would give much of a discount when i called them direct, but I got a huge lump off. :+1:

4 Likes

The one you don’t want/ wouldn’t be seen dead in :laughing:

1 Like

My 300,000+ miles 1997 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo Sport

We should launch that for dealer scum.

1 Like

I think we are talking new cars.

I think you’re right.