New smart phone

2 Likes

'kay ! So Narelle suddenly (!?) feels the need to get a smartphone and out of curiosity popped into PC World this morning. She noticed a Nokia 2.2, 5.5", Full Android 9, 3Gb, dual SIM, 16Gb storage (expandable to 400+), 13mp camera, all @ £70.
She’ll be using it for basic stuff like emails, calls, maybe scanning and storing some docs, Facebook when in Costa :roll_eyes:, and Google maps. She will also want access to all this stuff when in Oz.

I know fuckall 'bout phones so am unable to advise.
Is this likely to be fit for purpose ? Or would a used phone potentially offer a better option ?

It will do everything absolutely fine. Used phones are not ideal I would have thought as the battery life will not be as good as a new phone.

The last time you bought phones Nokia were one of the best manufacturers but lost their way when the technology moved on.
Maybe they now make decent smartphones but I don’t know anyone who has one.

Yep, I’ve still got a 6310 going strong as a back up.

…as my everyday phone :grin:

1 Like

me3

1 Like

Nokia still make decent budget hardware. For £70 I’d say it’s definitely worth checking out.

1 Like

I had a Nokia windows phone from work. Seemed fine with decent battery life

1 Like

The.Worst.Phone.Ever

I had one from work, it was appalling to use.
The day that work got rid of them because they were incompatible with W10 was the best of days

Worked ok for me. Email and maps did the job. It wasn’t my main phone though

Worst UI of any phone I have ever used.
I hated it, as did most of the people who had to use them.
I never heard one person say ‘Oh great a Nokia Windows phone’ when they were given one.

Maybe that wasn’t so much the fault of Nokia but more MS.
No surprise that there is no such thing as a Windows smart phone on the market anymore.
Consumers voted with their wallets.

Work lumbered us with Windows phones as well. I was lucky and mine was OK, but about half of them had dreadful battery life and chronic overheating problems. Thankfully we switched to iPhones!

We issued them as well and had battery life and overheating issues. A upgrade helped but in the end we also switched to iPhones. However that has really pushed costs up.

Also it didn’t help that despite promises from Microsoft they dropped support pretty much overnight.

We were threatened with them for work. Then one of the higher-ups got stranded overseas when his phone just froze. Cue major tantrum, disappearance of the threat of Windoze phones overnight (I had deliberately neglected to collect mine and had been rather rudely reminded of it at least twice) and the appearance of iPhones. It is verboten to mention Windows phones to the ICT lads which means that pretty much the first thing you ask is “Is this compatible with a Windows phone” at every possible chance.

3 Likes