Notes from a remote island

Interesting. I was always told there was a clear difference. All the roofers I ever employed used slate if it was a natural product and tile for anything that was man made.

Itā€™s bolted to the stone wall

Door will open (outwards) toward the stone wall which faces South. Given that it is lashing down at the moment I think Iā€™ll make the door today, inside the workshop!

1 Like

I have never heard them called tiles either, they used to be known as ā€˜asbestosā€™ slates until that was replaced with fibre cement for obvious reasons.

It may be that in the South there was no natural resource for slate and it was not used, so ā€˜tilesā€™ became the norm.

Probably a cost thing - proper roofing slates are far more expensive than tiles.

1 Like

Thereā€™s Delabole slates from Cornwall, thatā€™s quite southerly :thinking:

1 Like

Pedant,
Being geographically part of the Metropolitan Elite you know that by South I mean the Home Counties :grinning:

:smile: There are 100s of thousands of homes it that London roofed in Welsh slate.

Trudat

Finished the laths on the back and got a start on the slating (or tiling, if you preferā€¦)

6 Likes

Looking good Paul, have you got a triple course at the eaves? Itā€™s hard to tell from the pic.

Double course, like this

Nice job :thumbsup:

From what very little I know about roofsā€¦ with such a low pitch you need a good overlap.

Andā€¦Iā€™m spent.

160mm lap

Which is more than the recommended minimum for a 22.5 deg roof

Only a foolish man would think you hadnā€™t already thought of all this.

I was just throwing the one thing I know about roofs out there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One side done. Iā€™m too old and unfit to be climbing about on a roof! Trouble is, the other side is a pig to access. Iā€™ve made a little roof ladder to help, but not looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Be brave :roll_eyes: Does the racket play an important role?

1 Like

Indeed, itā€™s for Lou to propel the ball down the road for the dogs to chase. She canā€™t throw it unfortunately.

2 Likes

Got the front of the fuel store finished before the rain came today. Stooped me from getting the barge boards and soffits fitted to the back, but nearly there now. Just need to put a light or two inside.

9 Likes