Obituaries

RIP, I also saw him play about a year ago - way too young, very sad

Bollocks!

So sad !

Another major player from my yoof shuffles away.

RIP

Oh fuck, I’m absolutely gutted by the news. I’ve bumped into him a few times over the years at parties and clubs, I was so pleased for him when he had his ‘comeback’ as he seemed so happy. Damn.

1 Like

Just when they were starting to make inroads - so young

2 Likes

Simply tragic :frowning_face:. No-one who knew them seems to have had a bad word for them.

VB

3 Likes

Very sad news. Celtic fans still regularly sing:

There’s only one king Billy, that’s McNeill.

2 Likes

This won’t mean much to most of you but Joe Armstrong, one of the creators of erlang, died on Saturday. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met and a fantastic speaker, both about erlang and general distributed computing. Without erlang, Ericsson may not have been one of the leaders in mobile infrastructure. RIP.

1 Like

Had a drink with Billy down in Patrick’s beach bar near Marbella in 1982. His singing partner and good friend was John Greig of Rangers. Happy times following Scotland.

3 Likes

I don’t know a lot about Joe Armstrong, or anything much about Erlang (but I have at least heard of it). But the number of programmers I know / follow on Twitter who were in bits over it was both telling and remarkable.

1 Like

It was all the more poignant for me when I found out he passed away yesterday same day as my Dad although he’ll be delighted to see big Cesar again. :blush:

I can only imagine how you’re feeling Allan. All sorts of memories coming back today. The centenary double was a very special year and I was just thinking about the first game that my grandpa took me to. It was the 1975 cup final against Airdrie. I remember it vividly. It was Billy’s last game in the hoops.

Thoughts with you too Allan ATB

It caught me on the hop this morning Paul.

I must admit I had a tear in my eye reading all the tributes and my Dad absolutely loved him as a player. As you say Paul the Centenary year was something special. :four_leaf_clover:

It’s sad to think that the era of the really great characters and gentleman footballers is coming to an end.

2 Likes

Joe Grundy has passed away.

Special voice actor

Yes very good; big hole for the Archers

No more aaargh clary and no more moonshine cider !!!

Clary

Clarrie

Several important differences (important to them, anyway).

VB

Ah well spotted vb