Oooh, what's this just arrived?

Looking good,are they what you hoped for.

Because that’s where sinks go.

VB

Yes, What I was hoping for and more. There’s more to come as well i think as I refine the ds p in the Najda and they open up with a few more hours in them.

You have got me tempted,where did you buy the horns from.

They were bought from a German eBay seller who I was put onto by a guy on DIYAudio. They are £300 delivered by DHL. The Autotech are probably more professionally finished but twice the price, and the curve, internal surface and flange on these are correct and that’s the important thing. Celestion are bringing out their own horn flare which was designed by Bjorn Kolbrek but they will be £950 each it seems so something to look at down the line if I feel that these horns are holding the drivers back. They certainly don’t seem to be doing that at the minute I must say.
A lot of talk on DIYAudio about the new generation of drivers like B&C dcx464, Faital Pro hf1440 and this Celestion which are aimed at being competitors to the BMS coaxial and by all accounts improve upon them.
I was between the B&C and the Celestion but went for the Celestion in the end.

https://m.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/kugelwellenhoerner-ab-250hz-paar-mit-1-oder-2-horn-neu-65cm/529304465-172-1704

Try the link above for the horns.
Lean Audio is the place for Celestion axi2050.
Where are you at? If you can get to the North East come and have a listen. That goes for anyone reading this who might fancy a listen, get in touch and we can sort something out, I would like to hear what other people think. Micky has been a few times and heard the previous speakers and I am sure he will be back soon if he ever gets home through the roadworks from this weekend’s bake off😂!

2 Likes

Thanks i will have a look.

Bisons

Basins.

1 Like

What’s the difference between a basin and a bison :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Indeed, a bison is just a basin with a strong Brummie accent.

8 Likes

The difference is, you can’t wash your hands in a buffalo :thinking:

2 Likes

Must try harder 3/10

1 Like

Hi keith1962,

I am very interested in these Compression Driver’s the Celestion Axi2050. I also wanted to build something like this but then I found this:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/266064-range-5-horn-project-8.html

This user has switched from high end compression drivers to Beyma TPL150 with the same Woofer that you use. He found it much more musical compared to TAD 4001 and TAD 2001.This is a strong word…

How is your impression now ? Did you have the time to optimize the System with Axi2050?

Did you keep the Celestion Axi2050?
Please let me know you would help me a lot in my decision.

Yeah that’s not how private messaging works on here :laughing:

2 Likes

Just got hold of the Axi as well as a few B&C units to compare and measure, the only way of knowing these things is to try them on a horn specifically designed for each unit, i.e matching exit angles etc etc. I would steer clear of making decisions based on what folk write or often state on forums and blogs as it ranges from waffle to complete BS usually from self appointed experts who went to some guys house and heard a poorly set up system for 4 hrs and states “best in the world”.

Theres a few folk on here that will tell you that building big horn systems is a long and drawn out process but achieve incredible results, I have heard a few and would suggest theres even more still to come from some of them (I mean already amazing sounds) but you have to rest somewhere on this journey.

My advice is ask around and find folk who might be willing for you to visit and listen for yourself and don’t take too much notice of forums, it’s part why this one exists, a sort of collective subconscious exodus away from the BS but as you might observe it’s got worse than anybody could have possibly imagined.

5 Likes

We’re like an internet version of the Pilgrim Fathers, and look how that’s ended up…

4 Likes

Not all of it’s bad

https://www.feelthewords.com/public/images/scripture/books/ex/16/Exodus-16-12.jpg

VB

I’m getting a trojan warning from that link…

Insert preferred witticism here:

Thank for this words.
I know everybody hears differently and has different expectations.
But there will be not enough time to hear all sorts of Technologies and even only all compressiondrivers; so that’s why I have to ask…
And you know: Corona… nobody will invite someone for hearing…
For me it would be a great help to know if this Driver was preferred over the Beyma TPL 150. This would be a very useful information; but you are right in the worst case I would prefer the opposite…
My worry is about the high frequencies where normally a 2" compression driver has his Limits.
But there is small hope that the new technology of the Axi Driver could have its benefits…
But normally the AMT should be much better…

Thing is, even if the driver has the bandwidth, the horn is likely to be the limiting factor in terms of directivity. A CD type horn will help, but there are trade-offs.

1 Like