Oooh, what's this just arrived?

Indeed, a bison is just a basin with a strong Brummie accent.

8 Likes

The difference is, you canā€™t wash your hands in a buffalo :thinking:

2 Likes

Must try harder 3/10

1 Like

Hi keith1962,

I am very interested in these Compression Driverā€™s the Celestion Axi2050. I also wanted to build something like this but then I found this:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/266064-range-5-horn-project-8.html

This user has switched from high end compression drivers to Beyma TPL150 with the same Woofer that you use. He found it much more musical compared to TAD 4001 and TAD 2001.This is a strong wordā€¦

How is your impression now ? Did you have the time to optimize the System with Axi2050?

Did you keep the Celestion Axi2050?
Please let me know you would help me a lot in my decision.

Yeah thatā€™s not how private messaging works on here :laughing:

2 Likes

Just got hold of the Axi as well as a few B&C units to compare and measure, the only way of knowing these things is to try them on a horn specifically designed for each unit, i.e matching exit angles etc etc. I would steer clear of making decisions based on what folk write or often state on forums and blogs as it ranges from waffle to complete BS usually from self appointed experts who went to some guys house and heard a poorly set up system for 4 hrs and states ā€œbest in the worldā€.

Theres a few folk on here that will tell you that building big horn systems is a long and drawn out process but achieve incredible results, I have heard a few and would suggest theres even more still to come from some of them (I mean already amazing sounds) but you have to rest somewhere on this journey.

My advice is ask around and find folk who might be willing for you to visit and listen for yourself and donā€™t take too much notice of forums, itā€™s part why this one exists, a sort of collective subconscious exodus away from the BS but as you might observe itā€™s got worse than anybody could have possibly imagined.

5 Likes

Weā€™re like an internet version of the Pilgrim Fathers, and look how thatā€™s ended upā€¦

4 Likes

Not all of itā€™s bad

https://www.feelthewords.com/public/images/scripture/books/ex/16/Exodus-16-12.jpg

VB

Iā€™m getting a trojan warning from that linkā€¦

Insert preferred witticism here:

Thank for this words.
I know everybody hears differently and has different expectations.
But there will be not enough time to hear all sorts of Technologies and even only all compressiondrivers; so thatā€™s why I have to askā€¦
And you know: Coronaā€¦ nobody will invite someone for hearingā€¦
For me it would be a great help to know if this Driver was preferred over the Beyma TPL 150. This would be a very useful information; but you are right in the worst case I would prefer the oppositeā€¦
My worry is about the high frequencies where normally a 2" compression driver has his Limits.
But there is small hope that the new technology of the Axi Driver could have its benefitsā€¦
But normally the AMT should be much betterā€¦

Thing is, even if the driver has the bandwidth, the horn is likely to be the limiting factor in terms of directivity. A CD type horn will help, but there are trade-offs.

1 Like

Are you running a system at the moment? Would probably help if folks had an idea how this driver will fit into it if so.

Yes the 2" Horn starts beaming very early but in my case I am hearing mostly on a fixed place and mostly alone so I wouldnā€™t need a broad horizontal directivity. But I read yesterday that a very narrow directivity especially in the high frequencies sound unnaturally. B ut until now I havenā€™t made own experiences

At the moment a have nothing. I came from High End Headphones and good activ loudspeakers.
Then I got this idea with Hornloudspeakersā€¦

Yes, because it will change the balance of direct to reflected sound. As you say, this is likely to sound odd/unnatural. This is where a lot of horns systems fall down - they try to push each horn too far. Constant directivity horns will ameliorate this somewhat at the expense of efficiency.

I have read about CD Horns and I want avoid using them but not every horn which is an CD Horn is declared like this. CD Horns have often worse decay plots. How could I identify safety a CD Horn?
The Red Horn from Celestion for the Axi Driver is a CD Horn; right?

https://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/celestion-lh9045r-2-90-x-45-wide-bandwith-horn-p-3318.html?zenid=4j8faictuk08lbahm5h3llr1g2