Oppo Digital to cease production

I have Netflix, and Amazon prime etc. Still much prefer Blu-ray, especially on the projector where you can see a lot more noise etc with Netflix.

Blu-ray has lossless sound too which sounds much better in general.

3 Likes

We use Netflix/Amazon Prime - if it is a film I really, really like I will buy it on Bluray because the compression does hamper sound/visuals still.

we used to do that. But we rarely watch a film more than once, and I see no point in collecting disks anymore when we can stream.

As for the quality, I am impressed by the 4k stuff I watch, looks and sounds good for me.

Top.

top? hat?

Well I’ll miss it. It’s such a shame you can’t get vinyl any more either :slightly_smiling_face:. Or books. (OK, it’s a while since I saw an 8" floppy (1, 2, 3 … wait for it, wait for it …) or a Betamax tape.)

VB

1 Like

per Headon?

2 Likes

As a liver-down-the-far-end-of-a-bit-of-damp-string, silver discs are going nowhere for a good while yet - a 4K movie download would take about a month, even after local connections were repaired after us chasing fucking BT for 2 years…

Does that help with the flavour?

1 Like

More of a storage thing… Like a necklace of ears, but bigger…

:thinking: Never affected my download speeds. Might have inhibited other processes though…

4 Likes

It wont be as good as an uhd bluray.

They said that 10 years ago about CD.

Marshdweller in “unable to access current technology” shock.

It also won’t cost £30 and take up loads of space.

Streaming might not be as good as the UHD disks yet, but it’s not hard to make it so, or even better.

Agreed.

I took all my DVD’s down to the local charity shop yesterday. Suspect around 10 years since I last spun any and over 200 takes a fair bit of shelf space.

Don’t even stream many films as I am too busy playing music most of the time.

I did the whole Home Cinema 5.1 projection thing but in the end got fed up surfing the volume control half the time and year on year upgrades.

Surprised you could get a charity shop to take them - most round me can’t shift ‘em any more.

So was I, I asked the day before and they said yes please. Also really wanted CD’s but I do still play those.

I’m going to need a bigger loft at this rate…