Organising the new listening room

The painting is finished in new listening room and although I’m still a few weeks from properly setting up the room due to other decorating duties I’m starting to think about the alternative set ups I could use.
The room is 3.5m x 3.2 and if I sit with my back to the window I can utilise the 3.5m length and maximise storage for records and cds etc along the walls.
My question is if I sit with my back to the plate glass double glazed window how much negative effect will there be on sound quality.
The window has a blind but I could put up curtains if needed.
When empty the room seems fairly well behaved there is no echo or reverb when talking or making loud hand claps making me think it might be well behaved. It has a carpet on the floor.
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

1 Like

I am guessing the reason you can’t use the other end for seating, is a door.
Generally speaking, you don’t want a reflective surface behind you. So I would think, curtains will help, if they are nice and heavy.

I could sit other way with window to the right of me. But this would limit storage space for records and CDs
I’m thinking of all the different ways it could be organised

Picture of room? (Also consider not having records in direct sunlight)

2 Likes

Taken from doorway

2 Likes

As the room is near enough square you may be no worse off going across the room (Again heavy curtains would be an idea)

Heavy curtains would help with that too, though it may only be a problem if the window gets any direct sun. Then again, if the gloom is going to be permanent Tim might as well dispense with the curtains and fill the window with acoustic treatment foam/mass/whatever.

VB

Acoustic treatment is definitely an option

My rooms similar, a little longer, works much better nearfield, speakers away from the front wall, listening position away from the back wall. Window behind doesn’t make a huge difference. Heavy full length curtains open or closed has an effect not unlike changing cables :thinking:

1 Like

My room is a bit smaller, in both directions but near field listening, as Dan says, works a treat.

1 Like

Definitely look out if the window. Sod the sound!

1 Like

This is a truth

1 Like

what is the view in the other direction? from window to door