Pet insurance

Jesus. I know your dog is a properly named variety unlike our melange, but that’s bonkers.

1 Like

Crazy!

I pay £35/month (total) for both. That’s with a very high level of cover too.

1 Like

Fuuuuck!

I pay £70 a month for my two and one of them is a stupid Foxhound. £130? :rofl:

We’ve had our moneys worth, two dogs that died young but had significant vet bills before the inevitable. Money well spent when you need it

Gocompare delivered substantial savings for the same cover as Petplan

1 Like

We have a savings account into which the equivalent of a fairly hefty premium goes.

We also have a realistic idea of what can be meaningfully achieved with a poorly dog, and what is merely selfish sentimentality that is prolonging suffering.

6 Likes

What about in the reverse and the dogs having to suffer you?

4 Likes

We did similar last year when Ruby’s premium skyrocketed because she had hit 8 years old. Hopefully we won’t need it, and it’ll pay for her replacement in 2 or 3 years (Gordon Setters hardly ever make it past 11 or 12). I’m afraid I’m not going to pay for treatment if she gets cancer, seen too many dogs suffering from the medication side effects only to succumb a year or so down the line, and I refuse to put her through that.

I think she’d quite happily go aged 12 by a massive coronary whist galloping after a deer, miles from home so I’d have to carry her all the way back.

4 Likes

I think I see pet insurance as cover for injuries etc. I agree that treating them for cancer or whatever is a lot of money spent of achieving very few quality adjusted life years. Whether I think this when it happens, we’ll see!

1 Like

With you 100% on this. I’ve seen a few too many dogs kept alive for the owners’ sake, not the dog’s, and while I fully understand the huge emotional wrench, it is a kind of cowardice that disgusts me - aided-and abetted by greedy vets.

Also with you on the deer chase - that is how Max will go, albeit more likely after a hare - he will expire as a dot on the horizon requiring me to wade a river, cross a mire, negotiate several barbed-wire fences begirt with muddy ditches, dodge an aggrieved bull, and cross dozens of acres of heavily ploughed land… Few things would make the cussed bastard happier!

6 Likes

Lol!

Renewal has just come through the post.

£55/mth

Fuck that

:smiley:

Now comes the decision. If I can’t get that down considerably, do I put £50/mth aside and hope for the best…

3 Likes

They do have a sense of humour don’t they?

It hasn’t made me laugh yet

If there are no underlying conditions then try a comparison site first. Then decide if you can accumulate enough reserves before they are needed. Or are prepared/able to absorb the risk.

Has anyone seen this from Geoff Old? Fucking scary, I’ll keep paying the premiums.

Fortunately, Blue has nothing major, just minor arthritis and some mineralisation in a tendon. Constant twisting, turning and stopping 30kg while running at top speed has an effect. So does a £920 vet bill for an X-ray. An utter rip-off, in my view but, unfortunately, essential.

Blue is I believe, a Staffy.

Shitting hell, £920 just for the x-ray, or all the treatment?

It looks ripe for Easyvets to me.

Just the X-ray.

Update: The quote from More Than which was £200 more than last year was immediately reduced by £100 with one quick phone call.

It was still a £100 increase so fucked them off and went with *Waggel. Same price as last year for the same level of cover.

*they seem to get fairly decent reviews, unlike most other rivals.

3 Likes