Poster art, vintage advertising and other drawrings

It says “oddest”…

Hahahha - My eyes are, indeed, damned.

2 Likes

You may already be aware that a British eccentric did much the same thing, but rather earlier and on a MUCH larger scale - to-wit, the Williamson Tunnels in Liverpool.

I had the singular good fortune to see the very excellent ‘Erland & The Carnival’ play a gig in there 11 years ago - ranks among the best I’ve ever seen, and drummer David Nock gave the best performance of drumming I have ever witnessed, bar-none.

2 Likes

Hobbies like this need to be brought back.
Might have a go at the local roundabout

2 Likes

3 Likes

This was posted up previously on the old pics thread I think but what I didn’t realise was the artist M.C. Escher (the original doesn’t have his name along the top) :point_down:

3 Likes

The Surgeon General’s warning wasn’t added to American cigarette packaging until 1969, so that’s been added to the image. Otherwise, that’s a great poster.

1 Like

I wonder if they used the image in 1969 then despite it being from 1917 as you say it is a great poster.

When you look online, some reproduction posters include the warning and some don’t. I get the feeling it was added a long time ago for a touch of irony.

1 Like

Could well be right - a pity.

The original

Skull With Cigarette

and another skull one one from the same year

3 Likes
9 Likes

Gollum in his boat, from Gene Deitch’s 1966 animated short The Hobbit

1 Like

4 Likes

3 Likes

Some corkers here

3 Likes

Good job it’s a Friday
Two days ago that would have caused Mr MWS rather an episode in the mind garden

1 Like

I’m close to arriving at a place where cartoon arousal is possible. At first glance this is tragic. The more finely honed of mind however will recognize, current reality is in fact, the most tragic thing of all.

1 Like

Who Framed Roger Rabbit on repeat for you then

Bugs in drag . . .

1 Like