Poster art, vintage advertising and other drawrings

It says “oddest”…

Hahahha - My eyes are, indeed, damned.

2 Likes

You may already be aware that a British eccentric did much the same thing, but rather earlier and on a MUCH larger scale - to-wit, the Williamson Tunnels in Liverpool.

I had the singular good fortune to see the very excellent ‘Erland & The Carnival’ play a gig in there 11 years ago - ranks among the best I’ve ever seen, and drummer David Nock gave the best performance of drumming I have ever witnessed, bar-none.

2 Likes

Hobbies like this need to be brought back.
Might have a go at the local roundabout

2 Likes

3 Likes

This was posted up previously on the old pics thread I think but what I didn’t realise was the artist M.C. Escher (the original doesn’t have his name along the top) :point_down:

3 Likes

The Surgeon General’s warning wasn’t added to American cigarette packaging until 1969, so that’s been added to the image. Otherwise, that’s a great poster.

1 Like

I wonder if they used the image in 1969 then despite it being from 1917 as you say it is a great poster.

When you look online, some reproduction posters include the warning and some don’t. I get the feeling it was added a long time ago for a touch of irony.

1 Like

Could well be right - a pity.

The original

Skull With Cigarette

and another skull one one from the same year

3 Likes
9 Likes

Gollum in his boat, from Gene Deitch’s 1966 animated short The Hobbit

1 Like

4 Likes

3 Likes