Recommendations for family hol in Scotland

I recommend you go somewhere else!

2 Likes

I take it that was a response to the bell end above ?

2 Likes

Update: had a smashing two weeks in Scotland. Edinburgh, Loch Tay, Colonsay and a couple of days in Moffat.

Weather was reasonably kind, no midges, plenty of beautiful scenery. a couple of refreshing swims, a few bike rides and some lovely walks.

Thanks for all the advice.

15 Likes

brill - we are heading towards Orkney on Weds next week. Starting with the sleeper to Inverness

2 Likes

Didn’t you do that last year, or was that Welshland ?

we started in Inverness but headed west from there. This time we start in Inverness and head north towards Orkney and then straight across the top of Scotland and down to Skye.

3 Likes

:+1: coolio

1 Like

Moffat… bloody hell that brings back memories from my childhood… traipsing through the Lead Hills and Moffat toffee.

Never ever been back … must go soon.

I liked Moffat - the surrounding area is stunning. Good cycling territory too.

I bought some Moffat toffee for my workmates. Sadly, sugar craving got the better of the missus and I after a walk yesterday and we scoffed it in the car.

(NB I wouldn’t recommend the Irn Bru flavour).

4 Likes

Excellent photographs Ben :+1:

Isle of Skye. It’s one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited, and not just for the Cullin.

You can see plenty without having to do crazy levels of walking either.

3 Likes

We’ve never been to Scotland but have decided we’re going to book a cottage in the highlands somewhere next year for our honeymoon .

If you can find accommodation available, Applecross is quite a special place.

1 Like

It’s an amazing place - I’m hoping to take the bike up there next year and spend some time cycling about.:+1:

Skye is fantastic, have been going since I were a youth. Unbelievably popular and busy now tho even in the off season.

Scotland’s tourism, generally, has increased considerably.

80+ cruise liners visited, or will visit, Lerwick this year. Over 100 planned for next year. Some of them are huge.

Jeezas.

The only cruise journey that I have heard of that sounds vaguely tolerable is one my folks did recently. They circumnavigated the UK, stopping at places like Scilly, Dublin, Giant’s causeway, Lerwick and a couple of places on the continent. Ship moves at night, so you wake up and can visit an interesting place that you might not want to spend a week at. Good for oldsters with a bucket list.

I still simply can’t imagine myself on one though.

No, not my scene either.

However, I did once spend 3 weeks on a very basic, small ship in the Southern Ocean, but that was exclusively for birding purposes and the days at sea were devoted to watching seabirds and cetaceans. The ‘excursions’ ashore to The Falklands, South Georgia, Antarctica etc, were also solely for wildlife watching. Far removed from hotel at sea experience!

4 Likes

:heart_eyes:

1 Like