Refurb / extension progress

:broken_heart:

Couldn’t you settle for a heavy trim ?

1 Like

Possibly. But it is a leylandi. It’s ugly. On the other side is a wood. I’m going to plant a cooking apple tree, as there are blackberries in the wood.

6 Likes

Max height for loss of light/neighbour disputes is 2 meters
Get rid.

1 Like

Boo !

1 Like

3 Likes

I don’t generally disagree. But, I’ll make an exception this time. It’s blocking the light and views from one side. Plus, it’s hardly a terrific specimen. If it was something nicer I’d have trouble condemning it. I’m also aiming to rewild maybe 20% of the garden and plant lots of other sympathetic plants elsewhere.

I have 4 pallets put to one side for a giant bug hotel. I have some artifical swallow nests to go up under the eves.

2 Likes

I’m super with Tristan here. Leylandi, nasty, ugly things.

Nice cooker, much more in keeping, and useful.

Pls plant a medlar for me too.

(a house we once owned was recently flogged including a “beautiful mature orchard” that actually consisted of fruit trees flogged off at £1 a go from Woolworths in Great Malvern at the end of the season, plus a medlar from friends, planted in the mid-80s)

4 Likes

Maybe a bit of creative topiary?

5 Likes

Completely agree. I’d chop the fucker or cap it really low, plant something that will be more in keeping with the trees around it and be more beneficial to the local wildlife.

1 Like

Me too. Plus they grow very tall indeed but only have small root balls. ‘In the wild’ they stand close together in their millions. This protects almost all of them when the wind blows. But if there’s just one then there’s a real risk of the next big blow bringing it down, with the risk increasing as the tree gets taller.

3 Likes

They should be banned

It’s a non-native hybrid of absolutely negligible wildlife value, they can grow well over 75 feet tall, they dry soils savagely, and unlike the (native) yew in the pic above do not take to topiary because of one of their other very poor characteristics - they cannot regrow from ‘brown wood’, only green - so if you clip them back too hard, you end-up with permanent bald spots.

Leyland cypress is in third place behind Japanese Knotweed and Giant Hogweed as the worst thing ever to happen to UK gardens.

Burn the cunt.

House looks nice BTW.

2 Likes

You are to have omitted to mention MARE’S TAIL :rage:

Native species, enjoying growing your own coal :+1:

1 Like

Yes. People sometimes plant them as very quick growing hedges. Then they neglect them. After a few years they try to cut them back down to hedge size only to find that they’ve made a picket fence.

There is one such fronting the river (effectively) opposite us - about 50m of highly flammable sticks after the old girl who’d ignored the fact it halved the width of the road got an enforcement order from Highways. Spent a fortune getting some louts to cut it right back when it would have more sense to fell the lot and start afresh.

She then sold the place to avoid firther problems, leaving it to someone else to spruce the old place up… I bet she’s pining for it now though…

3 Likes

1 Like

Not all of it though… :unamused:

2 Likes

Out walking the dog through the mean streets of Glasgow. Some interesting topiary caught my eye. I’m hoping that something along these lines could cause Tristan to have a change of heart. Perhaps try some topiary and if it doesn’t workout then kill the tree?

1 Like