Roofing project advice

Put a *purlin to support the rafters at the point where the roof meets the glazed section. That will take most of the roof load and a nominal timber beam would suffice at the eaves.

*steel - clad in timber or maybe a composite timber beam.

Just looked and chartered CIAT according to the website

Says they are experts are solving problems, mild irony here…

I did ask them to draw up demolition of the right hand side so we have a cut through but that looked very odd. Think the building control fella might be a good shout, he was fab on our last project

This did make I chortle!

gaga

I don’t get many 2-Gaga days.

Are you saying that architects are picky about who uses the term?

Absolutely. It’s against the law to practice as an architect unless you are qualified and registered with the relevant professional body - in the UK it’s the RIBA. A few people get sued each year for claiming to be architects when not professionally registered. It’s to ensure ongoing competency, same as professional registration of docs/lawyers etc…

1 Like

Did know that, but as an accountant where there isn’t the same umbrage at unqualified people using the term it does sometimes do to yank the chain of professions who try to accumulate as many suffixes as possible (once saw a letterhead where the letters after the name went all the way across an A4 sheet of paper…)

Cantilevered Car Port? Affix to back wall and existing RSJ so fully open to the front.

1 Like

That’s a very nice sex pond, the pampas must be behind the modesty screen?

Oh yes, they’ll love that in a conservation area :joy:

You might have a point jb, could say it’s a fish pond

Can’t see us with a outside bath though so prolly moot point

1 Like

Its the cantilevered principle that I was espousing not the sex tub.
Cast iron lookie likee supports fixed to the rear wall, Thin black aluminium structure to look like cast iron. Roof of whatever takes your fancy to make it look old. Gives cover without the front supports.
Is planning permission actually required or is it covered by your Permitted Development rights? They still apply to Conservation Areas. Don’t ask the Council, who will say that it needs planning, ask a planning consultant.

Is there an Article 4 Direction that covers your house to restrict what can be done?

You may be able to get away with what you want without any trouble if you do your homework.
Disclaimer. I have not checked any of these details in relation to your particular house.

Hi mike

My understanding is I have to notify the council on anything that is not a repair as we are in a conservation area so they may require planning permission

I prolly need to research it a little more