Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today V1.2

Finally, several weeks after taking the plunge and buying the Modwright, it’s in place! A 300 mile round trip today, followed by much heaving, dusting, then more heaving… thanks again to @dom

Currently sitting on the dining room table being eyed suspiciously by Mrs Waxy are these…

Need to find somewhere to stash them before I incur the wrath

20 Likes

Mmmmmm VUs… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

That power amp seems to be as heavy as the Modwright… my poor back

1 Like

Lovely balanced system you are building there Gareth. Modwright and Alnic Audio on the phono side will be very hard to beat.

2 Likes

I whacked Dead Cities on first… trying to summon the energy to tidy up and then drink beer

1 Like

I offer hifi storage for very unreasonable fees.

4 Likes

Cracking looking (and I’m sure sounding) set-up Gareth

1 Like

You can turn the display off and adjust the brightness too I just can’t remember which button it is on the remote, but it’s labelled something else, because hifi reasons

1 Like

Yes, the non-existent * button. The standby button does the trick

1 Like

That’s the one :rofl:

Lovely system you’re building. Last year I sold my Luxman L-590AX with lovely VU meters and now have a Luxman LX-380 which has none. If you’re anything like me, you’ll miss the meters for about a minute and then forget about them completely. I used to love them but now I’m glad that they’re not there to distract me from the music. YMMV.

2 Likes

I do love those VU meters, yes. I have had that pre-power combo for 7 years but sitting here listening with the Modwright, I can see me moving on, no problem.

2 Likes

That is a result. I had the two box pre-amp here on demo when I bought my Audio Research LS26. It was great but the AR was a better match to @Jim’s old Alephs than the Modwright. It was neck and neck with the Rank ‘summer amps’.

1 Like

Burn the witch!!! :fire: :fire: :fire:

There’s lovely.

3 Likes

We always used to call them Bouncy Needles.

I found a few modwright remotes in a draw the other day whilst looking for knackered record player parts to give to Audiofail in exchange for favours we shouldn’t share in public. If you need one let me know and I’ll stick one in the post.

2 Likes

:wink:

3 Likes

Loose lips sink ships.

Not quite shiny, but my cds (still enough to fill it to go) are finally accessible and out of boxes.
That Sony mini system is absolute trash. I need something for a small gym / store room that plays cds and Bluetooth with adequate (not expensive but not Christmas cracker) speakers - recommendations welcomed.

6 Likes

Denon DM-41 (or used older version) with some Rega R1s or similar.

1 Like