Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today V1.2

11 Likes

Any good?

First proper sit down tbh. Seems a lot better on the 4ohm taps than the 8. Pretty respectable so far.

1 Like

All working now then, good to see. Found a receipt today for the work undertaken by David Price, namely the low gain conversion and fitting of larger output Txs and at the time a pair of new WE 300bs. Will take a photo later for you.

Thanks Bob. Iā€™d be interested in seeing that.

All good now. The valve blowing took out both the internal and mains plug fuses.

The front left traffo does run rather hot. Is this usual ?

As in 64Ā° after an hourā€™s use :flushed: Iā€™ve switched it off now , canā€™t be right.

I dont know, never measured the temp. That tx wont have been damaged in transit, I suspect it is running just as hot with you as it was with me. Iā€™ll fire up the BP power supply I have tomorrow and see how hot that runs.

ShuangMuSanLin

Not as amusing.

1 Like

A while back someone lent me a 10"AudioMods Series 6 carbonfibre arm which Iā€™ve been meaning to try.

I put it onto a 401 having cut a new armboard.

The resulting sound is quite pleasant, very smooth & solid. Maybe not quite as relaxed & easy sounding as an FR64 (or a 3012 SME) nor as explicit as the Alphason arm I hadā€¦ But itā€™s nicely made and ought to be compatible with a range of turntables & cartridges. For the money they are, itā€™d seems to be of decent material value. I have to say the aesthetics donā€™t do much for me, particularly on a Garrard and one or two of the features are a bit dubiously executed. But Iā€™m sure thereā€™ll be many who disagree.

9 Likes

probably the voltage transformer so yes it will get hot.

Currently enjoying an Ortofon SPU Mono GM MkII cartridge. Iā€™ve never heard an SPU before. Lovely thing. Iā€™ve been wanting to try one for years but Iā€™ve not had a suitable arm. Now I have the 3012 but I donā€™t have the cash so Iā€™m very grateful to Stuart @Slammed56 for the loan of his cartridge.

What a treat being able to listen to my mono records on a mono cartridge for the first time. They dont get played that much. In fact, I found a cat hair on the first record I played. My cats died at the end of 2020. :cry:

17 Likes

Mine gets hot on this BP. Wouldnā€™t worry about it Mike.

1 Like

No mate, itā€™s going to take some sorting out and much expense. Donā€™t worry though, Iā€™ll take it off his hands for a third of what he paid and get it sorted properly.

Not 100% convinced still Bob.

The rectifier looks a wee bit ā€œkeenā€ too -

In my experience all the BP mains trannies get hot, and the PSUs for P20 or S20 get damn hot

That blue unit has probably been around since about 95 or so at a guess, which suggests it is WAD

See if you can borrow a mains DC-blocker - although frame-wound tx donā€™t suffer as much from the telltale mechanical noise, they will still be saturating to some extent and thus working well below full efficiency if you have DC offset on your mains.

I doubt the effect will be dramatic if these amps run their tx hard, but it could buy peace-of-mind and some incremental improvements.

Sorry Simon, youā€™ve lost me here

If it has been running hot for more than 25 years it is probably Working As Designed and the heat isnt a major issue.

Ah, OK, thanks. You folk are all far more experienced/ knowledgeable on valve amps than I, so I guess Iā€™m a bit cautious.

What happens if the mains tranny does overheat ? Hopefully not explosions or fire :frowning:

Do your remember Buncefield?

4 Likes